BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Fillet Profile Walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am writing from Santa Fe, NM where we like to show the adobe walls battered as in adobe construction. I have been able to make the profile walls, however, when I attempt to put a 4" fillet on the corners the walls will not clean up in plan. The wall profile is 12" thick & this will not allow me to use anything less than a 4" fillet. I am left with having to paste fills over the corners of the entire plan view. Very tedious! Is there anyone in the NM area doing this type of construction & have you found any better solutions?
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is a portion of the building showing the battered adobe walls. Couldn't fit the attachement on the previous post
Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 10.03.28 AM.png
rjwilden
Booster
Put a 5mm radius on the internal corner and it will work.
I gave up trying to make walls like this. Just make them square now.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Anonymous
Not applicable
Richard, I understand your giving up on the problem. However, I like to present Bimx models to our clients & with square corners the look is unacceptable. I have had to make walls with square corners for the construction documents with thin (2" to 3") battered walls on a separate layer that is only used for the elevations and the Bimx model. Very tedious, but it's the only solution I have been able to come up with. I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there in the ArchiCAD world that has come across this issue? Hello Santa Fe?
I think I would make a set of Plans/ArchiCAD model, for a pseudo Adobe house keeping all of the free form elements separate from the structural components, as opposed to trying to make wall types (for example) of something that is a mix of structural and non-structural/free-form parts.

It depends on if your modeling strictly for the graphics you want, or if you need to extract building information from the model.

The morph tool would certainly be a big help for modeling the free-form adobe features, and a rendering program that can use displacement and bump mapping to help shape the textures would also be good.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

jclewis
Booster
Hi Jack

It is possible, although it involves a fair amount of work.

But first, is this what you're looking for?

Jim
James C Lewis
AC 24 (Full)
Mac Pro (Late 2013) OS 10.13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
James, It's really nice to hear from you. I've come up with another way of doing this: I use the rectilinear walls on an "Ext.Wall" layer so I can use that for dimensioning & creating the C.D.'s of the floor plan. I use a thin Custom Profile for the battered walls (flaring out slightly at the bottom & arching back over the parapet. This Custom Profile is turned on for BimX & elevations. It's a little tedious. Tried morph but that seemed too inaccurate. I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Extra postings:
Anonymous
Not applicable
One more posting:
Anonymous
Not applicable
Last posting:
Learn and get certified!