Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License outage
Dear Customers, We are facing with an outage in our services in Azure. You may experience issues with the Azure-based functions, like licensing, BIMcloud SaaS, Learn Portal. We are working hard on this issue to make it fixed as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Fix for associated fills in 2D vs 3D

Paul King
Mentor
It was a good step forward by Graphisoft when it became possible to have slabs & roofs display the fill associated with the material they are faced with.

Unfortunately, in practice this is not yet very usable in many situations

In particular

1 Adjusting a texture origin in 3D does not move the associated 2D fill origin in plan - eg for a tile setout. This is inconsistent with the result in elevational views, which do update to follow texture origin

2 It is not possible to set texture/fill origin in 3D by snapping to a mid point of an element - you are forced to snap to a node. In reality, most tile setouts are setout from centres, NOT corners. More comprehensive geometric snapping options required in 3D analagous to existing 2D tools - eg that use constraints to allow positioning with respect to centre of TWO egdes at right angles

3 It is not possible to use fill handles in plan or elevation to adjust fills & textures associated with the differnt faces of an object. This is very unfortunate, and inconsistent with the 2D only fill tool.

Accurate setout of fills & textures is often very important for working drawings as well as presentation, and it flies in the face of the BIM philosophy of ArchiCAD that we are in practise still forced to manually apply 2D fills to make up for shortcomings in 3D modeling tools

I hope this is addressed very soon!
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
2 REPLIES 2
Paul King
Mentor
Before anyone else beats me to it, I should fess up now & admit that I missed something fairly crucial! - you CAN get a fill handle which allows you to adjust slab fills in 2D when you tick the "link to fill origin" radio button in the slab tool - however, if the fill is to be associative with the 3D texture, you need "use fill of surface material" enabled as well

With "use fill of surface material" on (i.e keeping fills & textures associative), you can not adjust the fill setout of slabs at all in the 3D window - tough when trying to align associative fills across walls & slabs - eg bathroom wall/floor tiling

Associative or not, you also cannot adjust the setout of fills in 3D except on the "dominant" face for the object type (top for slabs, side for walls)

You still can't adjust anything in an elevation window

Fills also get distorted on slab or wall edges by any angle that is not 90 degrees - forcing messy workarounds

My issues are really just reduced to one - we need separate associative fill/texture control for all faces, for all object types, and in all views
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Djordje
Ace
Paul
Paul wrote:
My issues are really just reduced to one - we need separate associative fill/texture control for all faces, for all object types, and in all views
Please post this as a wish; the full explanation, although important to underastand the case, was a clutter for the Wishlist.

Thanks,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen