cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Grid snap does not work properly in AC15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad 15 grid does not work properly.

For example i have 1'x1' grid. My grid snap is on, and is set to snap to construction grid.

I click at the edge of a wall and move it down 1 grid space. Instead of moving it down by 1' at 90 degrees, it other angles.

and when i zoom in, i can see that it didn't snap at the grid, but the snap point is a little off.

Has anyone faced this problem?
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable
hello
Did anyone look into this problem, not being able to snap to the grid nodes is an error/bug according to the description.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Basically the answer to you problem is to use the Nudge function (I can't believe I did not think of that).

I learned this by contacting the Product Designers at Graphisoft to ask them about this issue.
So the idea prior to AC15 was that after activating Grid Snap the program was most suitable to element placement. Selection, Drag/Rotate, Parameter Transfer etc. operations worked in a random manner as you could only use them in such a situation if the element was placed on the Grid. But e.g. you could not drag a point on an element to a Grid position. So there were limitations.
This was changed in AC15 so now during selection operations Element Status is stronger than Grid Snap, which then reverses during editing (Grid Snap will become stronger). So when Grid is ON the editing operation can be started from any point of an element but can only end on a Grid Point (which is your case).
With this change the usability of the Grid has increased, however it is now not usable in your situation (although it is not even recommended for that case).
So in your case when you want to move something at Grid intervals, just select the element and use SHIFT+ALT+UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT key.

Please let me know how you feel about using Nudge for such cases?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Lasz
Thank you for looking into this problem.
I know about nudge, but i rarely use it because it is slower.. you have to take your hands off the mouse and work. and it involves more steps.. or clicks to move things and it wont work good with copying rotating etc. Besides grid can do the same thing,

The issue you told about not being able to select elements when they are not aligned with the grid, I never had that problem because its just a click of a button to turn off grid.. then select the element, then turn the grid back on.

The problem now is that, grid is just not reliable rendering it almost useless. especially if you have many of elements in the work space. And to make things worse, the element snap cannot be turned off.

Overall i am very unsatisfied with this modification, i have used AC 10-AC14, and everything worked fine, so not sure why the programmers will want to make the grid tool unreliable and almost useless in AC15
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello lasz
Just wanted to know if it is going to be hard to make an optional hotfix that can make grid snap override element snap for selection like in previous versions.

That should be able to solve this problem, since we exact know issue.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
My personal observation and opinion:
Functionality in ArchiCAD usually does not change with hotfixes.
Such changes usually occur only when a new version comes out.
So I think if this functionality ever changes from how it now works, it will not happen in this version or in any new hotfix to this version.

I have an idea: why don't you create a poll so we can find out how big a problem this is to the community and if they support your request for change.
Anonymous
Not applicable
oK, thanks for the suggestion. I will make a poll on that, but I dont really expect much feedback because it only affects the people who work with the tool. for the rest who don't use it they wont even know if there is such a problem.
But this is really a fundamental functional, being able to snap at grid points.

regarding hotfixes, in archicad 13 I have personally pointed out several errors in archcad, like dimensioning to curtain walls, schedule field dissapears in team work project etc.. and was given hotfixes that corrects it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Really? That's good news.
I didn't know about that.
I guess that depends on what a fix involves.
Has any of these fixes involved change in the interface (like a new checkbox in a Dialog or something)?
Anonymous
Not applicable
They were able to correct the errors, but non of those included an interface change.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think also that grid snap in AC15 is useless. It´s inaccurate with object or element that you move or modify. Each time you have to over check everything and it´s waste of time. On previous versions grid worked very well and if this bug doesn´t get fixed I´m returning to previous version of AC.

Please keep me updated on this poll or fixes for this problem.
sarahric
Contributor
Also have the problem that the drawing I'm given is not on grid. I try to move elements with grid snap on, they just snap to the grid snap distance from the object, and not to the grid on screen. ie my grid snap is set to 1 mm, the wall is at 1.77mm and I try to pull it to the grid at 2mm but it drags to 2.77mm. Meaning I can't fix the drawing.
ArchiCAD 18/Windows 7/16GB Memory/i5 3.2GHz Processor/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610