Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Half Stone Half Brick Wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
What would be the best method to model a wall where the water table is like 5' off the 1st finished floor and it is stone with a stone lip and then everything above that wall to be brick. (We do different height water tables all the time).

Also on the hunt for a cover fill or lack of better words a "hatch" for a wall representing the different kinds of stone. Stack stone, river rock etc. Just would like to be able to draw the walls like the structure will be built so when shown in 3D it would show the different materials.
19 REPLIES 19
Karl Ottenstein
Another option is Dwight's technique in this thread:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=14945

Also this thread which addresses this particular wall better:
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=20472
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
David wrote:
Barry wrote:
Still doesn't show them properly at door/window edges but maybe this could be solved with some creative scripting.
I don't think there are Global Variables available in GDL to get enough information about the host wall to accomplish this automatically.

David
Not to do it automatically.
But it would be possible to create parameters for manual input of the height and material for the stonework so that a thin veneer could be modelled at the side of the opening.
Far from a perfect solution though.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
My issue is that when I try to change the material like shown above in other suggestions, it is greyed out and non-selectable. I tried several different ways but it always shows brick, and I cant change it anywhere.

Is that a bug? like my file has something wrong with it, or I made the profile wrong or is it something that can be fixed?
Barry Kelly
Only the end surface of a complex profile wall is editable in 16.
The other surfaces must be edited in the Profile Editor.

Is this end surface greyed out for you as well?

Barry.
complex_profile_end.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I've tried to figure this out in the past, but nope, the GDL variable returns the material the window/door 'hits' at the bottom, you can't get multiple materials.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
Erwin wrote:
I've tried to figure this out in the past, but nope, the GDL variable returns the material the window/door 'hits' at the bottom, you can't get multiple materials.
Understandable as a complex profile could have any number of materials at any location and any shape.
So you would have to add some parameters for the manual input of materials and material heights.
Probably easier to add small walls to the inside of the openings as mentioned in the linked posts that Karl mentioned.
Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am on 17. It just seems like that if I make a complex profile, bottom stone, a stone cap and then brick on top it would clean up per material on the elevations. I just get the default brick shown.

I am lost on the "little walls" idea. It shows where I could change it if need be but it is greyed out. Oh well, I am just going to make separate walls that clean up correctly.

Thanks for the help though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did contact a friend and they changed it for me with no problems, but I don't have the option to change it. Not sure why he could and I can't.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Those surface buttons work differently in AC17 than in previous versions.
In AC17 there is an Override activating button to the left of each long Surface button. This is because the Surfaces of Wall skins come from the Building Materials. If you activate the Override for any of the sides (outside, inside, edge) you can define an override for that surface.
In AC16 and before these long buttons were always enabled so there was no need to activate an override button.
In the Construction Elements page of the Project Preferences Dialog, you can use the "Use legacy intersection methods for model elements" checkbox to switch between how elements intersect. If the checkbox is turned off, those overrider buttons have a role, if it is checked, they do not.
So I think the state of this checkbox was different for you and your collegue.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also had this problem in one of our projects. I kinda solved it using empty openings. I used an empty opening for each layer of material. I found out that you first have to insert the empty openings and then the door. I did add hotspots within the complex profile so I could snap the openings to the correct height. Not the ideal solution but it works...