cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How To: Step up foundation walls?

Anonymous
Not applicable
The title is pretty self-explanatory but see sketch... sorry about the rotation. Can this be done?
10 REPLIES 10
Dwight
Newcomer
Use a tilted beam.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I would use Roofs because the tilted Beam will not heal correctly at the joints of the sloped and horizontal pieces.
With Roofs you can mitre the common edge.

Or, if you use Beams, you will have to decrease the vertical thickness of the inclined part so the upper and lower surfaces are both continuous.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, running into trouble. Do I use the roof or tilted beam for just the footing, making a separate CP and SEO the wall to the footing?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, probably.
You will not be able to make a Profiled Wall with a sloped bottom.
So yes, model the sloped part separately and then SEO.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
An alternate proposal:

Stair step the footer based on either a one, two or "N" foot "riser". This greatly facilitates the BIM modeling since you are now only interested in how deep to set your footer. I use a CP and adjust the height and level as required. Easy to edit and modify later on.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
An alternate proposal:

Stair step the footer based on either a one, two or "N" foot "riser". This greatly facilitates the BIM modeling since you are now only interested in how deep to set your footer. I use a CP and adjust the height and level as required. Easy to edit and modify later on.

Snap
Stress Co_
Advisor
I've never detailed a footing elevation change as you show (wouldn't the mud run downhill and out of the form?).

I step the footing and model with slabs. The sloped edge is achieved with the slab "edge settings" (pet palette).

By using slabs, you can utilize the "Level Dimension" tool to label spot elevations (top of footing) on your plan.

I found it interesting to see how it can be done in Revit.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another way is to use complex profiles with the stepped profile set perpendicular to the stem wall.

The Revit method looks pretty tedious considering it is the equivalent of writing a library part first followed by a bunch of editing and fitting. I remember it being easier than this when I did it in Revit a couple years ago.

Of course if you were to go to the trouble of making a part in ArchiCAD it could easily be more adjustable/parametric than the family he is using.