Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How do you model a Broken Gable Roof?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any suggestions on how to model a broken gable roof? Struggling to get the roof tool to keep valleys and ridges at 45 degree angle as well.

I attached a screen shot of what I have and the red lines of where I need to be.
2 REPLIES 2
Barry Kelly
The easiest way I think is to convert the multiplane roof to single roof planes and add in a new lower pitched roof where you need it.
Then trim all the edges together to form the hips, valleys and joins.

You could leave the main roof as a multi-plane roof and add in a separate single plane and try to connect it but you may find it doesn't join up successfully.

You can also leave it as a multi-plane roof and in the multi-plane geometry settings you can add another level.
But I always find this very hard to work out the positions for the pitching point and I am never happy with the way it automatically trims.
So I convert the roof to single roof planes and adjust the low pitch roof and re-trim it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
The easiest way I think is to convert the multiplane roof to single roof planes and add in a new lower pitched roof where you need it.
Then trim all the edges together to form the hips, valleys and joins.

You could leave the main roof as a multi-plane roof and add in a separate single plane and try to connect it but you may find it doesn't join up successfully.

You can also leave it as a multi-plane roof and in the multi-plane geometry settings you can add another level.
But I always find this very hard to work out the positions for the pitching point and I am never happy with the way it automatically trims.
So I convert the roof to single roof planes and adjust the low pitch roof and re-trim it.

Using single plane roofs worked out much better. Thanks so much for the help!