Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to 'force open' a pln file into Plan view

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I have a .pln file that has a few issues in elevation view (too many trees basically) it was last calculated to take 236 minutes to update. I keep trying to stop the elevation from generating/updating but ArchiCAD becomes unresponsive. If I could open it directly into Plan view, the program should respond and I could fix the issue, however after many attempts I cannot find a way to open in plan view instead of the last view window which was elevation.

Any suggestions?

Thank You
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
owen wrote:
IMO it is totally unnecessary for ArchiCAD to open ANY windows other than the Floor Plan when opening a file. The default should be floor plan only, or at least give us a preference to be able to set this ourselves on an application install basis (do NOT save it with the file!)
Couldn't agree more, in this respect ArchiCAD is pretty 'dumb'. Maybe We'll see it in release 18
Anonymous
Not applicable
NStocks wrote:
owen wrote:
IMO it is totally unnecessary for ArchiCAD to open ANY windows other than the Floor Plan when opening a file. The default should be floor plan only, or at least give us a preference to be able to set this ourselves on an application install basis (do NOT save it with the file!)
Couldn't agree more, in this respect ArchiCAD is pretty 'dumb'. Maybe We'll see it in release 18
As I recall this was once how ArchiCAD did behave (opening in plan only to start) and the feature of remembering the state of open windows) was added along the way.

I agree that bringing back at least the option to "open in plan view only" would be very desirable. While I haven't had such major problems, it can be annoying having it open to a 3D view when I have no need of it. The more extreme problems others are having really seem to be a serious functional issue.

FWIW Revit has the same problem. I have received Revit models that open to a view that instructs the user to always return to that view and close all others before saving the model. This instruction is usually in BIG letters and rather forceful language.
Barry Kelly
The trick is to shut down all the other views before you save the PLN.
If sections, elevations, layouts, etc are open when you save the jobe then they will all regenerate when you open the file.
Turn them off before saving and there is no problem as they can't regenerate (rebuild).
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
In fact Archicad even has a "Close all background windows" option in the Windows menu.
Use this before saving the plan.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
owen
Newcomer
Barry wrote:
The trick is to shut down all the other views before you save the PLN.
If sections, elevations, layouts, etc are open when you save the jobe then they will all regenerate when you open the file.
Turn them off before saving and there is no problem as they can't regenerate (rebuild).
Barry.
Whilst this is relatively easy to manage with PLN's I have not figured out how these 'last open windows' are handled on TW2 files - are they stored with each users Send Changes, or only certain users, or ..?

The problem we have is a team of 15+ people all working in 1 Model and ~8 Publisher files ... inevitably someone will have forgotten to 'Close All Background Windows'. Or someone might crash and next time they try to reopen the file it has stored all these background windows as they did not have the opportunity to tidy up on exit.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps we need an option to open a file in "safe mode" which would open only the plan view with all layers hidden.

The TW issues seem like they may be a bit more complex though.