Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to get good moldings for windows and doors

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

In my current project I'm working on a house from 1900 and the moldings
in this house is from around 1900.
In the ArchiCAD library we have moldings for the ceiling and floor, but
nothing for windows and doors, or am I wrong?
In the door- and window-settings we can check moldings for inside and
outside, but those are to simple/modern for this project.

I'm not very good in GDL. Does anyone have a tip on how to get the right
moldingtype for my project?

I want something like this:
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can build them up from profiled columns and beams.

Depending on the head casing details these may be enough and you can group and copy them around the project. You can also save the assemblies as a modules and so you can revise all instances later by editing and re-saving the module.

If the head details involve miters or arches you will need to model the assemblies flat and save them as library parts. Little or no scripting should be needed though.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Reeves,
As a student you can download free archicad add-ons by 3rd parties. I would recommend Objective. You will find it invaluable and it will do what you want here. Ralph Wessel from the company is very active here on ACtalk and can assist you if you post questions about it.

When you can, play with the custom profile that Matthew mentions. It is also invaluable to get to know the program

After i posted I found what I was looking for. In the library there are also some Moldings, window headers and architraves. Set your library to search (v. folder view or subtype).
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to both of you. This forum is really great!
I'm downloading Objective now
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've never installed ad-ons so I need a little help here...
I've installed Objective, but I can't make it work. I've followed the Read Me-
manual.
I use AC 13 and downloaded the Objective-verson that should work with AC 13.
But it doesn't seem to work. It says the file is outdated.

Check the screenshot:
Objective.jpg
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Reeves wrote:
I use AC 13 and downloaded the Objective-verson that should work with AC 13.
But it doesn't seem to work. It says the file is outdated.
Which platform are you using? Primarily, is it a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows? Check that you have downloaded the equivalent version of OBJECTiVE, i.e. 32-bit/64-bit. If you install the wrong version, ArchiCAD will refuse to load it.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
I use 32 bit and I downloaded the 64 bit version, hehe.
So I'm downloading the right one now

Thanks again!
Reeves,
Quite often you can go to the manufactures web site and download the exact profiles of the casings, moldings, and trim that will be used wich might save you the time of drawing them.

One process I use to do this is something like this: Use the Profiler tool to extrude the casing or other profile around the opening you want to case. Now view that molding from the top in 3d and save it as a .gsm object. Place the new object in plan view. Adjust placement in elevation view as needed.

I don't think it would be very difficult to add an option to door and window objects that would let you choose the casing profile to be used. ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have the same issue with the installation of Objective. Only I have now tried both versions (64 and 32) and neither works so that is not the problem. Anyone have a clue as to what it can be?
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Svensdotter wrote:
Hi, I have the same issue with the installation of Objective. Only I have now tried both versions (64 and 32) and neither works so that is not the problem. Anyone have a clue as to what it can be?
If you have any problems with software from Encina, contact Encina directly for support through the contact page

Include details of your platform, including OS and ArchiCAD version. Also, ensure you downloaded the correct version of OBJECTiVE for your ArchiCAD version.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems