Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to get good moldings for windows and doors

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

In my current project I'm working on a house from 1900 and the moldings
in this house is from around 1900.
In the ArchiCAD library we have moldings for the ceiling and floor, but
nothing for windows and doors, or am I wrong?
In the door- and window-settings we can check moldings for inside and
outside, but those are to simple/modern for this project.

I'm not very good in GDL. Does anyone have a tip on how to get the right
moldingtype for my project?

I want something like this:
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steve wrote:
I don't think it would be very difficult to add an option to door and window objects that would let you choose the casing profile to be used. ?
It's not as easy as you might imagine. It's certainly doable but requires advanced GDL skills along with detailed knowledge of trim details. Basic mitered casings are not too tough though.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cadimage Door+Windows addon can achieve this.

I also believe students can get it for free.

Here is a screenshot of a job I am currently working on.
window.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Danj wrote:
Cadimage Door+Windows addon can achieve this.
I'm not saying it can't be done. I've made many such libraries myself. It's just not as simple as you might imagine.
Karl Ottenstein
Matthew wrote:
Steve wrote:
I don't think it would be very difficult to add an option to door and window objects that would let you choose the casing profile to be used. ?
It's not as easy as you might imagine. It's certainly doable but requires advanced GDL skills along with detailed knowledge of trim details. Basic mitered casings are not too tough though.
I don't know that Steve was suggesting that we users accomplish this. (Steve?) IMHO, this is something that Graphisoft should have done long ago. It is actually reasonably simple, as you know Matthew, as all trim is generated by a macro deep in the window/door macro hierarchy. (At least for the US lib, everything is generated by the same super-macros these days, not scattered about as in old versions.) Just as they have custom components for door slabs, handles, etc - it would not be a great leap to allow for a trim profile that is extruded in the macro which now just generates slabs.

I doubt if this is a priority for GS. I don't think there is a wishlist poll for this feature?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Erich
Booster
There was the recent (US) window/door survey. I know I mentioned this lack in my response. If enough others did as well, perhaps it is now a higher priority.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K