Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to measure these angles?

Kamelite
Advocate
So, I need to measure the angles rounded by a red circle, in order to make a precise cut. How would anyone suggest I do that? I cannot use the angle Dimension tool, and I do fear that if I measure the angles in 2D (plan view), AC wont take into consideration the sloping of the beam. The beam itself is a morph, if it matters. And just to clearify, it is two separate beams placed together..

The angle of the walls is 22,5 degrees, and the roof is 40 degrees. However, just cutting the top With those angles, and the bottom With 22,5/90 degrees does not produce the correct result. I need to be able to measure them. How to achieve this?

How would anyone in here go Ahead and make a set of drawings for a carpenter to be able to produce this roof whithout having to do the old test-and-fail Method?

.Thag

angles.jpg
Windows 10, Archicad 27
7 REPLIES 7
Dontknow
Enthusiast
You mean de angle between the two roof faces 1 and 2?
roof.jpg
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Kamelite
Advocate
Dontknow wrote:
You mean de angle between the two roof faces 1 and 2?

I Guess the answer to that is no. What I need is the angles required to make the cut in each end of the beam that is between the red circles, so to speak.

And it is those angles I'm having trouble With measuring.

I've tried to illustrate: The Picture Attached shows a beam, and the piece that it "hits" (wireframed, marked With a red circle in the original post). And its the two angles marked With red and black I need to know precisely. And then, the same two angles in the other end of the beam.

Thag
Windows 10, Archicad 27
Dontknow
Enthusiast
Ah. I see.
I don't think that can be done in ArchiCAD.
Normally special construction engineering drawings are made for this.
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Eduardo Rolon
I think it can be done this way:
• Show only the Beam in 3D.
• Menu "View->3D Navigation Extras->Look to Perpendicular Surface" and click on the side you need to measure the angle
• Right Click on an empty area "Save as 3D Document"
• Use the measure tool to measure the angle
• Repeat as necessary
• If you need to create annotations for this then I think you will need to also create a detail of the beam from the 3D Doc.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
You could also convert each element to morphs to finalise the solid element operations / roof cuts, then select each element individually and create 3d document for each view required to document the cuts / angles.

If you don't want lots of 3d documents you could copy the morphs away from the model (I would probably create a storey purely to document these elements) and then rotate to appropriate view orientations

Scott
David Maudlin
Rockstar
Thag:

I am not positive I understand exactly the angle(s) that you need to measure, but for the black one in your second illustration you may be able to place a Section that is parallel to the side of the beam to have a true, measurable angle to dimension.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Kamelite
Advocate
"ejrolon" wrote:
I think it can be done this way:
• Show only the Beam in 3D.
• Menu "View->3D Navigation Extras->Look to Perpendicular Surface" and click on the side you need to measure the angle
• Right Click on an empty area "Save as 3D Document"
• Use the measure tool to measure the angle
• Repeat as necessary
• If you need to create annotations for this then I think you will need to also create a detail of the beam from the 3D Doc.

I did what you described above, and it sort of worked. Two of the angles was measured correct, the other two was not. But i do belive that the two wrong ones was due to human error! Thanx alot!
Windows 10, Archicad 27