BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How to put window on two different floors

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I am beginner so this problem may be funny for you guys but I just cant do this.I need windows to put on 2 different floors and I wall is always blocking half of my window.Thanks guys

pomoc.jpg
11 REPLIES 11
Rod Jurich
Contributor
StivRezonski1 wrote:
......./ I need windows to put on 2 different floors and I wall is always blocking half of my window.
Place an Empty Opening in the wall below and stretch to the size of your placed window.
When you move your window you will need to also move the opening.
Best to edit in 3D window.
pomoc_127.jpg
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you it helped a lot:)
stefan
Expert
While I recommend this to many of my students, one problem is in the floor plan display: the floor with the Empty Window will only display an empty window in 2D. Sections and Elevations and 3D look fine.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
stefan wrote:
one problem is in the floor plan display: the floor with the Empty Window will only display an empty window in 2D.
Take a look at the Simple Window Opening Settings: use Plan Symbol Fill, set fill to match wall fill; set Wall Contour Line to Both Sides, set Wall Contour Line Pen to match Wall Pen; check Ganging both sides (to eliminate jamb lines).

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
stefan
Expert
David wrote:
stefan wrote:
one problem is in the floor plan display: the floor with the Empty Window will only display an empty window in 2D.
Take a look at the Simple Window Opening Settings: use Plan Symbol Fill, set fill to match wall fill; set Wall Contour Line to Both Sides, set Wall Contour Line Pen to match Wall Pen; check Ganging both sides (to eliminate jamb lines).

David
I have a different Library, so maybe I'm not having access to a similar object. However, I wonder how you would display the window frame in floor plan on e.g. story 0 of a Window that was placed on story 1.

It works better if you have a single wall that extends over the two stories. Or when you use two empty openings and insert a Curtain Wall, but that can not be set up as a regular window.

I want to avoid having to add some 2D Linework to fill in the missing representation, but sometimes that is a simple solution to get things done.

Can you post a screenshot?
ac16-window-multiple-story.png
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
MrC
Advocate
make window a favourite
place in empty opening on second level(essentially overlapping first )
adjust in 3d if needed
check schedule for duplicate
ILIFFE ARCHITECTURAL

BRITISH COLUMBIA

macbook pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

AC 21 USA (latest build)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
stefan wrote:
However, I wonder how you would display the window frame in floor plan on e.g. story 0 of a Window that was placed on story 1.

It works better if you have a single wall that extends over the two stories.
My post was about adding an empty opening, then hiding it (wall appears solid in plan). I would recommend the 2 story wall solution, so there is no disconnect between the window's representation on the 2 stories.

In the US Library Window Settings dialog box > General Settings > 3D Detail Level: Off will create just the Wallhole in 3D while still allowing a detailed 2D Symbol in plan, but the 2 windows will be separate elements.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Red
Advocate
Empty opening is my fix as well, and I use the ID to filter out empty opening within the schedules.
Thanks,
Red
i7 8700k
ROG Strix Z390-E MoBo
64gb RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 2080
Expert
David wrote:
stefan wrote:
However, I wonder how you would display the window frame in floor plan on e.g. story 0 of a Window that was placed on story 1.

It works better if you have a single wall that extends over the two stories.
My post was about adding an empty opening, then hiding it (wall appears solid in plan). I would recommend the 2 story wall solution, so there is no disconnect between the window's representation on the 2 stories.

In the US Library Window Settings dialog box > General Settings > 3D Detail Level: Off will create just the Wallhole in 3D while still allowing a detailed 2D Symbol in plan, but the 2 windows will be separate elements.

David
@David: if you use an empty hidden opening, how would the plan display the window that is located on the floor above? That part I don't get.

Can you illustrate what it looks like in plan view on the two different floors? In my example, the ground floor (story 0) displays the empty opening in 2D (with reveal) and not the window frame, as this is only visible on the story above.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!