Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

How would you go about creating this? (accurately)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I'm in the process of making a rough model of part of a building concept at University. I'm quite familiar with the tools in ArchiCAD but since this structure is not 'typical' the tools don't seem to accommodate, or at least not in the way I would like them to.

I've tried creating this elevation (image attached of model) with a mesh, since the outlines of the elevation were created in ArchiCAD (2D fill), however, I can't rotate the Mesh on the y axis i.e it's drawn on plan but in 3D it needs to be rotates 90 degrees so it becomes a wall.

I've also tried creating each piece of the wall using OBJECTiVE but again, this takes far too long and I'm still left with empty spaces on the wall. ( the Model shows that there are walls protruding inside and outside of other elements)

I guess the mesh could work but it's just that it doesn't look like it can be rotated in 3D.

Thank you for your help.

PS I know the concept may look 'crazy' ( well contemporary architecture) but that's what they want in Architecture school these days...

photo.JPG
49 REPLIES 49
Arcadia
Booster
There should be a law against building designs like this
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Dwight
Newcomer
There are:

The law of nature.
The law of gravity.
The law of reason.
The law of taste.

But it is just school, so soon he will be building boxes like the rest of us.
Dwight Atkinson
Arcadia
Booster
Dwight wrote:
There are:

The law of nature.
The law of gravity.
The law of reason.
The law of taste.

V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Also remenber the law of economics......
Dwight
Newcomer
Ooops. Architects are famous for forgetting that law.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
My boss allways reminds me of that law that ....
I have become an engineer!...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
There are:

The law of nature.
The law of gravity.
The law of reason.
The law of taste.

Yep, which is why I'm beginning to understand why they tell us to be creative, free and not to worry about a budget... I can see why Architects aren't always liked!

Still seems strange that they tell us to design like this, if we go into the real world and design boxes... Mind you, if someone said that to Zaha Hadid 30 years ago She wouldn't believe it. I guess they can't tie us all into 'Residential traditional ' Architecture otherwise we wouldn't be able to change the world
Dwight
Newcomer
Of course we all have dreams of making sculpture as buildings.

That's why i attached my image of an interior detail of The Experience Music Project in Seattle - as a reminder that some exceptional teams manage it.

Confronting irrational structures as students stretch the mind - if it is difficult to model it is going to be difficult to build. Just be sure of the extra benefit the difficult structure provides.

And of course, everything juicy dries up eventually, so don't let a tired old man spoil your fun.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I still think that the problem is not the architect (engineer) , the problem is the client... heheheheh.
If I only had have the clients that Oscar Niemmeyer had, or some of those guys from Dubay...
Dwight
Newcomer
I wish i was an Oscar Neimeyer wiener.
Dwight Atkinson