Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Imported image not showing in 3d

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all, I'm total noob and would appreciate some help from the masters.
I imported an image using External content > Place external drawing.
I'm able to see the image on plan view but not on 3d. I was hoping to build my model in 3d environment.
trying to make the same one as attached. Was able to do in Vectorworks.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 5.07.16 PM.png
4 REPLIES 4
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, it is easier in Vectorworks because there every 2D element is also visible in 3D. This is not the case in ARCHICAD.

What you can do: use the "Picture 19" GDL Object. Activate the Object Tool and at the top of the left pane search for "Picture", then select the "Picture 19" Object.
Set the Width and Height (not the Depth - see image) to the model sizes of your city map picture (e.g. 120 m by 200 m). Set the "Tilting angle" parameter to 270 degrees so it will lie horizontally instead of hanging vertically. Set the Frame Type parameter to OFF.

Check the "Use Custom Picture" checkbox. Then you will have to specify the name of the image file in the "Custom Picture Name" field.

But before that you will need to load the image file into your project.
OK the Dialog, place the Object, it will be placed with a default picture.
Go to the File\Libraries and Objects\Library Manager Dialog, click the down-pointing arrow portion of the long Add button at the top and use the Browse for Embedded Objects command. Find your image file and load it. It will be listed under Embedded libraries, which means it will be stored as part of the project file. OK the Dialog and go back to the Object Settings Dialog, where you will now be able to select this image file in the "Custom Picture Name" field.

Now that the Picture is using the correct image all you need to do is set the sizes of the Picture correctly so it matches the the model sizes shown in the image.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
As was suggested by another user on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AitorLeceta/status/679419182136598528
you can also use a map as a surface textura, size it to real scale and finally adjust mapping origin and orientation.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Both method works great!
How do you scale a texture applied to a morph surface? When I try resize it scales up the model but not the texture.
Thanks..
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You have to go to the Surface Settings Dialog and in the Texture panel you can set the X and Y sizes for the texture.