Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Importing new building material

Loutro
Booster

I have downloaded a collection of metal building materials from the bimobject website, but I cannot figure out how to import it into my Archicad file.  Two files were downloaded, a .icf file and a .aat file.  I tried to bring them in via File/Interoperability/SAF, but the files were not recognized when I attempted Add/Merge from File.  What is the correct procedure to import a building material in these file formats?

Loutro

Archicad 26

Mac Intel Chip | OS Sonoma

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based

Mac OS 14.6.1
Archicad 24 & 26
6 REPLIES 6
Ricardo Lopez
Expert

Hi @Loutro 

Library Container File (.lcf) can be imported with File> Libraries and Objects> Library Manager... and Add...>Add linked library... 

You can Import Attributes (.aat) with Options> Element Attributes> Attributes... and then click on the Import button and Browse...> Browse for file...(see image)

RicardoLopez_0-1729872730681.png

Regards.

M. Arch. Ricardo López
BIM Consultant | Project Solutions and Services | Panama
AC17-28 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI CreatorPro M16 HX C14VJG, 64GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 2000 Ada Generation

Thanks for the helpful information.  I am able to import the files as you described, but not able to see the new materials in the building materials list.  I do see a list of new items in the Surfaces list.  I will try experimenting with applying them to an existing building material, but I thought that what I had downloaded were new building materials.  In any case, please let me know if there is a next step that I need to take to be able to see the materials in the materials list.

Mac OS 14.6.1
Archicad 24 & 26

Hi @Loutro 

Surfaces are only part of the attributes needed to define building materials. Anyway, could you share the BIMobject link so I can try to help you?

For instance, I downloaded a random material (https://www.bimobject.com/es/axalta/product/fine-textured-ral-1023?software=archicad), imported a .lcf contaning a bunch of surfaces images and a .gsm macro object.

RicardoLopez_1-1729882392916.png

When opening that object a Usage information appears how to load the attributes of the product (see the image)

RicardoLopez_0-1729882338813.png

I guess it will depend on the files you download how it will work for you.

Regards.

M. Arch. Ricardo López
AC17-28 SPA+INT | Windows 11 | MSI CreatorPro M16 HX C14VJG, 64GB, Nvidia Quadro RTX 2000 Ada Generation

Here is a link to the material set on Bimobject.com: https://www.bimobject.com/en/wilsonart/product/wilsonart_dm

Just for background, I am trying find a perforated metal material for use as a guardrail in my project.  A search on Bimobject.com for "perforated metal" returned a number of results, but this is the only one I saw that looked like it might supply just the material--the other options were finished products/objects.  

In any case, if you have some success importing the Wilson Art Material, please let me know how you did it.

Thanks for your help!

Mac OS 14.6.1
Archicad 24 & 26

Hi @Loutro 

I had to download also the .zip file from BIMobjects with materials and textures (besides .lcf and .aat); some of them had to be renamed to properly be loaded as textures within the surface's settings because they appeared as missing images, but it worked. I mean, after importing .lcf and .aat as explained before.

Anyway it was not easy at all, to be honest.

Regards.-

M. Arch. Ricardo López

Hi, ok I will try what you tried over the weekend and post back here.  It does seem complicated.  Thanks very much for your help with this!

Loutro

Mac OS 14.6.1
Archicad 24 & 26

Setup info provided by author