Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Is there a way to demo wall in Option 1, but not in Option 2?

dcerezo
Advocate

I am working on a single family home renovation and there is an existing wall. In Option 1, we want to demo that wall. But in Option 2, we want to keep that wall. Can this be done with design options? Right now, if I set the wall to be demolished, it disappears in all Options.

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 15 Sequoia

ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution

In your main model you have 3 walls - N, S & W.

In option 1 you have an E wall set to be demolished.

In option 2 you have another E wall - if you want it to be demolished you can do that or it can be existing or new.

All you are saying is that in option 1 there is this wall and in option 2 there is this wall.

You then choose the option (wall) that you want.

They can be the same or different it is up to you.

Generally they will be different, because the idea is it is a design option and you will be choosing which different design you want to use.

These options will be in the same option set because you are choosing option 1 OR option 2.

You would not have both options active at the same time.

If it is going to be demolished in both options, then leave it in the main model and just set it to be demolished.

You can turn on as many options as you like, so long as they are in different option sets.

The you have an option 1 AND option 2 scenario.

You would not be duplicating the same element in these options as they are in addition to each other and not an alternative of each other.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly

Of course.

In the main model there will be no wall at all.

In option 1 you have the wall but set it as 'to be demolished'

In option 2 you have the wall and set it as 'existing' (i.e. just change the original wall in the main model to belong to option 2.

Now you can swap between available options to see what they are like and when you decide which option you want, you merge it with the main mode and discard the other options.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

I must be missing something. That doesn't work. Imagine a square house..N, E, S, W.  walls.

Existing shows all 4 walls. N. E. S. W (Renovation Filter set to Existing)

Here is the problem. Thanks for your patience here.

Option 1 On - the E wall is set "to be demolished." Fade Environment is unchecked.

Renovation filter set to Existing - All 4 walls show up as Existing. Check.

Renovation filter set to Demolished - N, W, S show as existing...E as demolished. Check.

Renovation filter set to Complete - N, W, S show as existing and I add some new walls. Check.

Now I go to Option 2. 

Option 2 on - the E wall is still set "to be demolished" because that is what I want as an option. Now I set S to be demolished.

Renovation filter set to Existing. - All 4 walls DO NOT show up because E wall is part of Option 1. Problem.

Renovation filter set to Demolished - N, W, show as existing, S as demolished, E is missing. Problem.

Renovation filter set to Complete - N, W, show as Existing, S is gone, and E is missing. Problem.

What I want is for the E wall to come back to Existing for Option 2. 

Does that make sense? Am I missing something?

And don't get me started on why I can't turn on 2 or more options at the same time. That would let me play with multiple roof options with multiple wall options without having to model everything twice or three times.

ArchiCAD 26 - iMac 27, Late 2019, 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 32GB Ram, Radeon Pro 8GB, macOS Sonoma
Solution

In your main model you have 3 walls - N, S & W.

In option 1 you have an E wall set to be demolished.

In option 2 you have another E wall - if you want it to be demolished you can do that or it can be existing or new.

All you are saying is that in option 1 there is this wall and in option 2 there is this wall.

You then choose the option (wall) that you want.

They can be the same or different it is up to you.

Generally they will be different, because the idea is it is a design option and you will be choosing which different design you want to use.

These options will be in the same option set because you are choosing option 1 OR option 2.

You would not have both options active at the same time.

If it is going to be demolished in both options, then leave it in the main model and just set it to be demolished.

You can turn on as many options as you like, so long as they are in different option sets.

The you have an option 1 AND option 2 scenario.

You would not be duplicating the same element in these options as they are in addition to each other and not an alternative of each other.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
dcerezo
Advocate

You should write an ArchiCAD how-to book Barry. Seriously. Kind of like those great AutoCAD books by George Omura back in the day.

Thank you so much!

Setup info provided by author