Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Is there a way to quick 3D based on DWG?

cocoloco
Expert

Hi!! I am quite struggling with modeling simple objects in 3D, dare if it is a difficult one. We work more with interiors than architecture so many little details matters and have to be custom made. (by that I don't mean that architectural work does not have details of course, I am more talking about 10 different types of faucets/cabinet openings/fluted details/sinks/furniture such & such). Basically the standard archicad library is completely useless with its limited base objects and their customization, it does not even include any high-end customizations, like it doesn't know what integrated sink means. When I say base, it is really like base. But ok. I found cool website bio objects.com in terms of library volume and high end products, but they are not customizable. And the brands we work with usually provide dwg and not 3D. So many times I am left with modeling this myself and I just can't (again, I am interior designer and not modeler and what I need is a software that translate my vision without spending 90% on workarounds). I also can't create faucet from slabs which is like another reason I just want to find something more sufficient for us.

So my question is. Is there some AI integrated way in Archicad that can create 3D objects based on DWG? Or is there some add-on or software to do it? What would be quickest way to do it if I have specs/dwg?  (FYI, no I don't understand GDL language, so it has to be something more intuitive, even if I have to drive the lines I am eager to do it as long as it can translate it into objet lol) 

I also have archicad 27, last year I remember they advertised some fast way to model but I had not yet to find that addon..

Thanks endlessly! 

Operating system used: Mac Apple Silicon 14.5 Sonoma

MacBook Pro, Sonoma: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, Intel 16GB mem,
Archicad Solo 26 and 27 (in testing mode)
8 REPLIES 8
mthd
Ace

Have you looked at implementing LPM (Library Part Maker) ? I haven’t tried it but it is supposed to help with creating custom library parts.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura

@mthd wrote:

Have you looked at implementing LPM (Library Part Maker) ? I haven’t tried it but it is supposed to help with creating custom library parts.

Unfortunately, you still have to model the objects.

And the problem with Archicad, is it is not very easy to model objects like basins and faucets that have curves with changing radii that curve in multiple directions at the same time.

So it is easier to find them modelled in some other format (3DS, RFA, FBX) and then import them into Archicad.

2D DXF/DWG files are great, but they are only 2D and can not be converted to a 3D form, so can only be used in plan and elevation, not 3D.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I see. Probably import 3D objects from the Sketchup warehouse and edit them with SU or use some other app to model custom library parts to import into AC.

Is the sketchup warehouse add-on or I have to pay another software subscription? 

Thanks! So I finally added some 3d files into the archicad but don't know how to edit them?  For example, I clicked on the 3d/2d view but it won't let me edit It in these windows. I thought the point of the 2d/3d windows is ability to edit it? .

Is there other tool that I should be opening for creating/editing custom items other than this? Not by gdl language, but by  modeling then? 

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 8.24.14 AM.png

I think that it is what I was looking for as it seems like the feature of 2023!  I downloaded it but I was unable to find manuals on how to create the actual object (again if I have to speak gdl language it's not going to work)

... When I opened the tool, it showed just this options but nothing like "modeling" tool, like something I model with and set dimensions etc? Basically what is the tool to actually model the object? Please see print screen thats as far as I got 😄 Empty paper 

Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 8.32.31 AM.png

I am not sure what the free version of SU will allow you to do. In my work with project homes, usually custom objects are not used. 

If was in your line of work I would try and look at GDL editing of existing library parts just to get started.

Many here can help you with writing lines of script too.

Have you had a look at some of the YouTube videos on how to use LPM ? That might help you in creating some of your custom objects. 

Setup info provided by author