cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Layer combination

Paopao
Booster
Is there a way to combine layers together in the right hand site of the Layers Windows, not in Layer Combination in the left.
I give you an example: I have the masterplan of a city, there are a lot of different layers containing all sorts of property definition (walls, bushes, fences, etc.. each on a separate layer). Sometimes I need to witch on all this elements together in a Layer Combination. Is there a way of do I need to create a new layer with all the dividing elements and put them there?

thanks
Pao
AC26 EDU • WIN 10 • Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz• 32G RAM• NVidia GForce GTX 1080
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
If I understand the question, you're asking if there is a way to switch a group of layers on/off regardless of what other layers are visible/invisible (current layer combo)?

If this only happens for a couple of layer combinations, I'd probably just create new combinations. But if you need to turn this group of layers on/off at any time, there is a way although it will not be a one-step name thing, but a 5 step one after things are set up.

In the Layer Settings dialog, you want to multi-select the layers that you want to turn on-off and then click the eyeball. You'll change the visibility of all of the selected layers.

Doing the multi-select would be tedious... except the Layers dialog has an option to Filter-by-extension, or to sort the layers list. If sorting with your standard names does not help (no common prefix), then simply add an extension to the layers that you want to deal with as a group.

Example:
A-Walls-Exterior becomes A-Walls-Exterior.MP (MP = masterplan, e.g.)
S-Landscaping becomes S-Landscaping.MP
and so forth

Steps in the future to turn a group of layers with the same extension on/off:
1 Ctrl-L/Cmd-L to open Layer Settings
2 Select any one of the layers with the desired extension "MP"
3 Click the Filter button and choose Filter by Extension
(Now ONLY the layers with MP are visisble)
4 Select all of the visible layers and click the eyeball to turn on or off
5 OK out of the dialog

Obviously this method is only worthwhile if there are a lot of layers as you suggest in your post.

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-19-int-reference-guide/user-interface-reference-2/d...

Attached is a screenshot of the Layer Settings dialog using the starter BIM6x template which uses extensions to group layers.
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 10.55.25 AM.png
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Paopao
Booster
That's it! Thanks a lot. It is exactly what I was looking for!
AC26 EDU • WIN 10 • Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz• 32G RAM• NVidia GForce GTX 1080
Karl Ottenstein
Great! Glad that helped.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB