Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Levels issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
A newby question im afraid.
I have a universal beam as part of my floor construction. On top of that a stud wall and another beam over that. How do I avoid seeing the beam that sits below the wall. Ive tried setting the cut plan half way up the wall height but otherwise lost.
Many thanks.
Lukle
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you just want to hide the beam in plan (but still see it in section etc.) then change the pen settings. Use the white (or invisible pen) in plan. You didn't say whether you were using the beam tool to create the beam or a library object but it should work with the various settings in 2D for both.
TomWaltz
Participant
You could also try putting it on a layer that is not visible in plan
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys, much
appreciated.
Lukle.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, my logic is, if you draw it then you need to construct it and therefore see it! So try to avoid using white pens to hide elements. I would give operators a slap on the wrist if they did this . Not sure if you are working with others in your firm, but the next person who opens the drawing will not know what is going on when beams are appearing in 3d but not in plan!

If you want to see the beam on the storey below, make sure your storey level is at the top of the beam - which should usually be the case - and if you set it to automatic storey and show overhead lines, you will see it on the storey below as a overhead.

If you want to see the beam on the current storey but in a different layer combination, then put the beam on another layer - so you can turn it off when you want - and set the beam to show on own storey only and as outline only.

There are lots of ways you can manipulate the storey and projection settings to achieve what you want, just need to explore them a little.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks mark for the additions. Still a bit unsure how I get what im after though.
Is there some way of just showing what would be visible in plan.
example.
I have a universal beam with a flange of say 138mm. on top of that is a stud wall 230mm cavity wall. So in plan all I want to see is both sides of the wall. Not the flange of the beam underneath. However when the wall stops and the beam keeps going I want to be able to see the beam in plan again.

I think ive made this more complicated than it is but does that make sence.

Thank.s
Lukle
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I think i understand what you are trying to do. If i understand correctly all you need to do is put a solid fill in for the cavity of the wall composite.

If the beam is concrete you can then show it on your concrete setout to dimension?? not sure exactly what type of project it is.

If the above doesn't solve the problem then let me know the following levels, and a 3d screen shot of the beam and wall.

What is the,

Height of your beam above the storey level (ie top of beam):
Depth of Beam:
Height of wall above storey level (ie bottom of wall):
Height of Wall
Storey Height:
Cut Plane height to Current Storey:
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Mark,
Attached are a couple of images of the (very rough : ) ) project. Hope its clear enough.
The cut plane is currently at 10000.
I could just make it a filled wall but it wouldnt be a cavity wall then.
I guess I just thought there would be a hierarchy of elments. The top most being visible and anything under it being obscured.

Since your last email I tried putting each level on a different story
so in the image below there are less lines over the top of each other.
However this isnt much use to me if I want to show all levels at the same
time.

Thanks again.
LUkle.
Anonymous
Not applicable
lukle wrote:
Hi Mark,
Attached are a couple of images of the (very rough : ) ) project. Hope its clear enough.
The cut plane is currently at 10000.
I could just make it a filled wall but it wouldnt be a cavity wall then.
I guess I just thought there would be a hierarchy of elments. The top most being visible and anything under it being obscured.

Since your last email I tried putting each level on a different story
so in the image below there are less lines over the top of each other.
However this isnt much use to me if I want to show all levels at the same
time.

Thanks again.
LUkle.
Hi LUkle,

Agree, if you fill in the cavity with a fill, then really it is no longer a cavity as it hides what is below, so doesn't this answer your question for you? Really, you should be able to see the beam under the wall where it crosses the cavity. This is how I would show it. If you don't want to see it, then use a fill in the cavity.

Sorry, i don't think i am being much help on the above, but i cant understand why you don't want to see the beam in the cavity but also want the cavity to be empty?

In regards to storey levels, i just had a very similar problem (split levels) and set it up like this.

1. Set the beam to display on own storey only. And set it to absolute display limit. You can also set to display on storey below if that is what you want but just don't set to automatic.
2. Have one storey (not 2 levels) at 10.170. I assume 10.170 is the very top of your beam, if not, move the storey to very top of your beam, it will still show because of what we did above.
3. Save a view of level 1 and edit the floor plan cut plane settings for that view only (access through navigator or right-click on view). In the floor plan cut plane setting set the Relative Floor Plan Range (Show down to) to 1100. This is the distance from level 1 to lower split level of level 1.

You will then see everything over both levels. Depending on how many other split levels you have you might have another at level 3 as you have shown in your section. But these same steps can be applied.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gday Mark,
Thanks for that. On the issue of wall display I was really just trying to cut
down on the number of lines showing but youre right I can just show the beam in the cavity.
On the story levels im going to go through what you mentioned and hopefully youll be done with this post. : ) Thanks for your help.
If you did decided you just had to help on one more thing.....

The Universal beam I have currently frames a four sided room. If i want
to strech one side out the only way I seem to be able to do it so that the
joins at the corners are maintained is to make the who square ( 4 beams) into an object. Is there any way of streching out one side so that the other two beams strech with it, without turning it into an object?

Thanks again.
Lukle.