Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Linking Section Markers to Details

On my foundation plan (model view) just for example, I have markers I want to link to section type details. I don't show both ends of the section marker, just one end. The kind of marker you might place on a slab edge or at steps...that sort of thing.

I want that marker linked to a Detail. Often the Detail I need this linked to is a Detail created with the Detail Tool in a Section. The problem is that I can link that sort of little marker to a Section and have all of the reference ID's work well in the Layout sheet but I can not seem to make this work if I try to link it to a Detail.

This seems like a very common way of referencing. Is there a special marker or something that needs to be used for this instead of a Section Marker ?

If a Detail Marker could be made to look like one of these little section markers I think my problem would be solved.

How are you doing this ?

Also, I need to be able to reference Details that are referenced in other Details. For example, a very common way of detailing is to make a cross section at small scale. Add a detail in the that seciton around the exterior wall, When you open that Typical Wall Section, it will have detail markers around the eave, each floor/ceiling, and at the foundation.

I don't like having to make a seperate "view set" or what ever it is called now, to do this very common task.

In the past with PlotMaker I was able to use a very very complicated work-around to do this. It was so complicated that I can't remember how to do it.

I am hoping that there is a simple way to do this now.

detail markers.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

25 REPLIES 25
TomWaltz
Participant
I'm feeling mysterious today, so I will tell you that the words "fake" and "manual" apply to my solution here....
Tom Waltz
The question I would have is WHY? It seems like what you really are generating IS a section (even if only a small piece), anyway, and NOT a detail. A detail is more like a cut-and-paste view, which doesn't seem to apply to your example.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
no problem. my esp is very good today. that is what I was afraid of.

I will post my soultion.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Richard,

you are right. The little marker shown usually does just reference a section.

But sometimes I need it to refrence a Detail as shown in this rather pathetic example.

From the marker on a floor plan I need to be able to refrence this type of Detail and have the reference numbers all working in the Layout.
refrence a detail from a section marker.jpg

TomWaltz
Participant
Since your Detail is a detail cut from a section, why not just use the Detail Tool's normal linking to do that? You're not really linking to a section marker.
Tom Waltz
Steve,

This may be a personal preference, but maybe you are "over-referencing"? (Just a thought....)

However, on a practical level, did you explore the "Refer to Drawing" function under the Marker section of the Section/Elevation dialog box for that particular section?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
notice that you can not " Refer " to a Detail or "Drawing", only to a Section.

I am not sure how or if you could get Details or Drawings on to this list.

If you could refer any marker to any Detail, Drawing, Section, etc...
the Detail in a Detail thing would no longer be a problem.

Now if it is true that you can not "Reference" anything except Sections,
They should change the way it reads in the dialog box from "Refer to a Drawing" to " Refer to a Section"

Perhaps I am missing something (as usual.).

When you open the dialog box to choose the drawing you want to "Refer" to, how do the choices you see get there? Why can't I pick the things i would like to see on that list? Why can't it include "Details" and "Drawings" instead of only"Sections" ?

TomWaltz
Participant
I was thinking of the Detail Marker object that looks like a section marker.
Tom Waltz
Bingo Richard! Over Referencing is the true source of the dilemma.