Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Linking Section Markers to Details

On my foundation plan (model view) just for example, I have markers I want to link to section type details. I don't show both ends of the section marker, just one end. The kind of marker you might place on a slab edge or at steps...that sort of thing.

I want that marker linked to a Detail. Often the Detail I need this linked to is a Detail created with the Detail Tool in a Section. The problem is that I can link that sort of little marker to a Section and have all of the reference ID's work well in the Layout sheet but I can not seem to make this work if I try to link it to a Detail.

This seems like a very common way of referencing. Is there a special marker or something that needs to be used for this instead of a Section Marker ?

If a Detail Marker could be made to look like one of these little section markers I think my problem would be solved.

How are you doing this ?

Also, I need to be able to reference Details that are referenced in other Details. For example, a very common way of detailing is to make a cross section at small scale. Add a detail in the that seciton around the exterior wall, When you open that Typical Wall Section, it will have detail markers around the eave, each floor/ceiling, and at the foundation.

I don't like having to make a seperate "view set" or what ever it is called now, to do this very common task.

In the past with PlotMaker I was able to use a very very complicated work-around to do this. It was so complicated that I can't remember how to do it.

I am hoping that there is a simple way to do this now.

detail markers.jpg

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

25 REPLIES 25
SeaGeoff
Ace
Steve wrote:
" Set as Autotext Refrence" could also be part of a quick solution.
Indeed it is. What you describe as an elaborate workaround in PM is now a rather simple workaround in AC 10, but a workaround nonetheless. Here goes (from memory):
1. Create the marker you want, as an object or simple line work, without any text.
2. Right-click the drawing you want to reference in the navigator and select Set as Autotext Refrence.
3. Create a text block on top of your marker with the drawing number and layout number. This can be done all in one text block using the autotext pull-down.
4. Group the text block and marker.
This method can be used to reference any placed drawing with any type of marker (e.g. enlarged floor plan). It will only work if the marker w/autotext and drawing are in the same file so wont work for split projects.

This is the method of choice for certain references that otherwise are not easily accommodated, like enlarged plans and details that appear as sections on interior elevations. In your case however you could find or build a detail marker that looks like a section marker and reference it to the detail you have cut from your wall section. The Detail Part Marker_NCS 10 in US library is such a part. Unfortunately it lacks mirroring (no SYMB_MIRRORED global available for detail markers) as well as masking and line type control. Here is a modification of the part with some added parameters. It has not been thoroughly tested since I don't have an active ArchiCAD 10 project yet. Please let me know how it goes.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Richard,

it's not THAT great. You place the Autotext.ref in the Drawings, Details, Sections and they will show up correctly in the Layouts and other places too.

After creating the Detail using the Detail tool you place it into the Layout by one of several ways. Drag-n-Drop works too. Now that the Detail, Drawing, or Sections that has been placed into a Layout has reference numbers corresponding to its location on in the Layout Book, ( detail # and sheet# (Layout), you right click on your target Drawing ( in Layout they are all called Drawings- Details-Sections-Drawings, what ever) and click Set as Autotext Reference. Now you go to the place you would like the target drawing referenced from and place the new Autotext.ref

This can be done multiple times too. Now you can reference details in details as in the typical situation where you want to reference your cross section from the floor plan marker, reference that section to your typical wall section, reference several details from there to your details sheet.

It all works very smooth now. No complicated work-arounds.

Sorry for so many words, I realize you already know how to do most of this already. Some may not.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Thanks Geoff,

That is exatly what I want to play around with.

Thank you very much.

Steve wrote:
it's not THAT great. You place the Autotext.ref in the Drawings, Details, Sections and they will show up correctly in the Layouts and other places too.

Steve,

What I was hoping for a clarification on was this --
you can place an autotext reference using the text tool, but as Geoff says, the text gets placed on TOP of a blank reference marker, not within it. I got the impression that you were placing the autotext through the marker parameters, and I haven't figured out how to do that.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
yes...when you figure that you it will be something Great. In the mean time this will to the trick for me.

Dennis Lee
Booster
I know this is a rather old thread, but happend to come across it today. I think the original question of this thread can be solved with something like this attachment, right? It's a regular detail marker that 'looks' like the section detail marker. HTH.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9