Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Making a profiled helical object

BillCurtis
Participant
I am working on a 3D model of an elliptical stair not using the stair tool. I have been able to use walls and slabs along with the mesh tool and solid elements operation to give the desired look. The part that has me stumped is how to put a profiled handrail on top of the sub-rail. Any thoughts?
Archicad v25, PC Windows 10
6 REPLIES 6
Karl Ottenstein
It is helpful to include a signature (click the text 'Profile' link above ... to the left of "Log Out") giving your version number...

If you are running 16 or higher, consider the Morph Tool to extrude a profile along a 3D path:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/videos/archicad/3d-modeling/morph/editing-morph-sub-elements/archic...

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=40252

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=42493
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
BillCurtis
Participant
Thanks Karl. I think I updated my profile per your suggestion, just in case I am on a PC running windows 7 and v17 of Archicad.

I can see how the morph tool might work, but how can I get a 3D line to follow up the stairs. I saw reference of a 3D polyline, but can't find the tool.
Karl Ottenstein
BillCurtis wrote:
I can see how the morph tool might work, but how can I get a 3D line to follow up the stairs. I saw reference of a 3D polyline, but can't find the tool.
The first geometry method of the Morph Tool in the Info Box selects the 3D polyline.

But, a trick that might help in your case is to duplicate your sub-railing off to the side and convert it to a Morph (select it and right-click > convert to morph). The original subrailing will not have useful snap points... but the converted-to-morph one will have snapable (mercedes cursor) edges everywhere. So, you can then tube your handrail along an edge there. Then drag it back to your real stair and change the elevation if necessary.

Note that as you click, you're creating segments, so to follow your 3D ellipse smoothly, you'll have to click fairly often to get a reasonable fit. As far as I know, it isn't possible to use the magic wand when tubing in 3D.
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
BillCurtis
Participant
Karl, I ended up making the the rail and sub-rail part of the same complex profile. Converting the item into a morph creates 2 separate morph elements and I can't seem to select both to allow me to tube them at the same time. Looking at the video like you sent yesterday, there is mention of being able to do that.
BillCurtis
Participant
Karl, With a little trial and error and a lucky click I was able to complete the rail and sub-rail as one complex profile. By accident I held down the Control & Shift keys and was able to click both the sub-rail and the bronze rail cap and use them as a single tube. I used the center of the bottom face of the sub-rail as the reference point for the tube and used the top of each baluster as the location point for each segment. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Karl Ottenstein
Glad it worked out!