cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Mesh volume calculation accuracy?

R Muller
Enthusiast
I am having inconsistent results in calculating volumes of cut and fill, as compared to the "2D" way of doing it by measuring areas outlined by "before" and "after" contour lines. I am beginning to suspect that the mesh tool itself may be inaccurate, and that I shouldn't try to rely on SEO between existing and new meshes to give me sufficiently accurate quantities of cut/ fill.

As an experiment, I created a mesh with fairly straight contours, defined by just a few points. When I added additional points to the existing contours (no change in elevation, just put another point on the existing line) the volume of the mesh changed. It changed even more when I added a "valley" line that cross-connects the contour lines along the valley that I am creating with my grading.

Is anyone else having an issue with the accuracy of cut/ fill calculations based on meshes?

Mesh comparison.png
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
11 REPLIES 11
David Maudlin
Rockstar
R wrote:
Yes, David, I have noticed that ArchiCAD seems to prefer the interpretation in your left example to the one on the right, which is why I have learned I need to add ridge and valley lines in these situations. Do you suppose there is a preference for flat ridges over sloped ones?

What I am wondering is if there is any sort of systematic bias, that would tend to show less cut and more fill, for example.
Rather than adding lines to the mesh, I have added points to break the triangles into more realistic grading shapes. I don't have any feel for how ArchiCAD triangulates the site, but I have seen many instances where the triangulation yields elongated triangles (2 very long sides and 1 short side) rather than triangles with 3 roughly equal sides. I add points to break the elongated triangles into more even shapes.

[As an example of lack of control, when I created the meshes in my earlier post, I created the first one and set the heights, then copied it while wondering how I was going to force it to triangulate on the opposite axis. The copy divided the other way on its own, go figure.]

I have been creating meshes for visualization only, not for volume calculations, so I don't know about the methods used for cut & fill balance. I think you will need to understand the calculation method used by your consultant and be able to relate that to the ways the mesh is formed in ArchiCAD to see a way of editing the mesh so the two methods are closer.

HTH

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Karl Ottenstein
R Muller,

Interesting project and issue. I have never modeled a terrain mesh as a series of plateaus as you have done, but as a smooth (fit to user ridges) mass that attempts to interpolate to reality. By stepping your terrain, the value error could be significant.

The only other thing I have to wonder about is the fact that you have 22 meshes and are doing SEOps on them. Typically, I'll have two - the complete 'before' mesh (smooth) and complete 'after'.

Nice to see planning work like yours being done in AC. 🙂

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB