Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Newbie question about retaining selection between views

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I've been using Archicad for about 3 months now, and there is one major headache that keeps coming back:

If I select an object in (for example) 3D perspective view, and then switch to (for example) an elevation view, the selection is not retained.

Is there any way (or setting I can't find) to retain my selection for editing between view changes?

I've been working with Rhino3D for years now, and switching my views to continue editing from another vantage point is just second nature to me now, and it just seems silly that the program would not do this.

Please help!

Thanks!

-Stefan
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly
Stefan_G wrote:
Is there any way (or setting I can't find) to retain my selection for editing between view changes?
No.
There will be a wish in the wish list for this somewhere.

The closest you can get is to select something in plan, section or elevation and then show that selection in 3D - but you can't do this the other way (from 3D to plan).

You could use Find & Select in some cases to 'save' the selection criteria and then you can use that same criteria to select the same in another view.
But you would need unique criteria like ID to isolate what you want which would mean you would have to edit the ID of all elements you want to select.
You may as well just select them manually.

If there are a lot of elements grouping them the first time you select them can help. Then they will also be grouped in other views making it easier to select them all at once.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11