Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Newbie question on roofs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi All,

I am new to ArchiCAD...convert from AutoCAD.
Is there an easy way to create the following type of roof?

I have a 'square' building and wanting to place a roof which has an overhang to all four sides (equal in length). The roof is monopitch. Here's the thing. The soffit thickness needs to decrease in size from 190mm at outside wall to 90mm at the fascia.

Does anyone have any suggestions as I've tried a few things and all seem to be really crappy and not very logical.

Thanking u....
18 REPLIES 18
David Collins
Advocate
Here's an ArchiForma solution, just for fun. The soffit can be easily modeled using the "ruled surface" tool, basically giving you a truncated pyramid, and then rotated into position under a normal roof slab.

If you plan to do this sort of thing a lot a parametric scripted GDL object using RULED might be another way to go.
cantedsoffit.jpg
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Djordje
Ace
David wrote:
Here's an ArchiForma solution, just for fun. The soffit can be easily modeled using the "ruled surface" tool, basically giving you a truncated pyramid, and then rotated into position under a normal roof slab.

If you plan to do this sort of thing a lot a parametric scripted GDL object using RULED might be another way to go.
Very good! Are the egdes of the "hole" by the walls vertical?

Congrats for 5000th message!

Another way of doing this is with GDL Toolbox - as it can follow the non-horizontal path, as will ArchiForma 2.0 I hear.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers for that David, Will look into ArchiForma
David wrote:
....If you plan to do this sort of thing a lot a parametric scripted GDL object using RULED might be another way to go.
Please excuse my ignorance...Is this part of the ArchiForma package or is it part of AC8.0 ?

Cheers again
Djordje
Ace
"Michael Craig" wrote:
Please excuse my ignorance...Is this part of the ArchiForma package or is it part of AC8.0 ?/quote]

RULED is a GDL command, that you can use in your scripting - which is a little too much for you at this point in time, I suppose.

To try ArchiForma, check http://www.cigraph-store.com.

To Try GDL Toolbox, check http://www.gdltoolbox.com.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Wish I joined up here months ago...

Thanks for all your help everyone.
David Collins
Advocate
Please excuse my ignorance...Is this part of the ArchiForma package or is it part of AC8.0 ?

No, "Ruled" is a GDL script command. If I may be allowed to proselytize a bit, GDL is the basic wonder and glory of ArchiCAD.

Select a simple library object and then go to File/GDL Objects/Open object This will show you the GDL script of that object and will doubtless scare the pants off of you the first time you see it. But it's easy to learn, speaking as a deeply computer code challenged individual, and fun besides.

The whole point is that you write a simple description of an object using variables for key dimensions, materials or even whole alterative variations, which can then be changed on the fly in ArchiCAD.

The roof soffit example here would have parametric variables for the plan dimension, height, slope angle, distance extended from the wall, facia thickness, materials and whatever else you wanted to be able to change. The one script can then produce an infinite variety of similar objects, which can be changed and adjusted in seconds as your design evolves.

Put The GDL Cookbook on your Christmas list.
David Collins

AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
David Collins
Advocate
Very good! Are the egdes of the "hole" by the walls vertical?
Actually, blush, shuffle, I didn't put a hole in the thing at all.
Easy to do, though, with SEO after the slab is rotated into position. That will give you vertical sides on the resulting hole.
Congrats for 5000th message!
What!? No mug!?
David Collins

AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the good advice buddy.
Asking Mrs Santa now..
Anonymous
Not applicable

nice work