Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: ¿News about AC 12?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all!

¿Anybody knows anything about AC 12, please?

I'm hearing rumours, but nothing concrete...

Thanks a lot and regards.

P.S. Like another user says: "forgive my spanglish..."
325 REPLIES 325
Anonymous
Not applicable
1) Most of plugins could be made using VB. Why is that good? I guess you know the answer. VB for apps is simple, interpreted, does not require an external compiler....

2) The most obvious things one could do is add interactivity to object creation. You can draw with GDL But you cannot get feedback from the user. You cannot ask him to give a point(s) or pick objects or... everything you could do in autocad with autolisp since before christ

3) In gdl i cannot even tell the user, select a polyline and then read what ever info i want from that polyline and draw for example something in 3d.

4) For example select a column read its geometry and add reinforcement. This is very simple if only i could read the selected columns geometric information

5) Gdl is very limited if you dont have interactivity AND if you cannot read the geometric properties of selected data.

Very powerful objects that interact with other objects.
stefan
Advisor
oreopoulos wrote:
1) Most of plugins could be made using VB. Why is that good? I guess you know the answer. VB for apps is simple, interpreted, does not require an external compiler....

2) The most obvious things one could do is add interactivity to object creation. You can draw with GDL But you cannot get feedback from the user. You cannot ask him to give a point(s) or pick objects or... everything you could do in autocad with autolisp since before christ

3) In gdl i cannot even tell the user, select a polyline and then read what ever info i want from that polyline and draw for example something in 3d.

4) For example select a column read its geometry and add reinforcement. This is very simple if only i could read the selected columns geometric information

5) Gdl is very limited if you dont have interactivity AND if you cannot read the geometric properties of selected data.

Very powerful objects that interact with other objects.
Frankly, these things would be done using the Application Developers Kit for ArchiCAD, which is not VB but C++. Yes, it is compiled and yes it is complex, but it is currently available, at no cost for the developer / end user.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad28/Revit2024/Rhino8/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sequoia+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
greysheep5
Contributor
Karl wrote:
oreopoulos wrote:
Having for example visual basic for apps for AC will boost productivity 1000%, users can create very powerful utilities.
Could you give examples of 3 or 4 such scripts that would boost the typical user's productivity 1000% please?

Karl
..well, that would be easy... for example it would be nice to have the possibility to just transform with one click 2d elements like hatches to lets say slabs with a height depending on the color of the hatch. easy scriptable stuff like that would make my life as an architect much easier, in this point i have to kind of agree with oreopoulos! this kind of scripting, also stuff like "distribute materials in random patterns to given elements" and so on are very useful in a modern day application and i use them frequently in 3dsmax when i´m on the hardcore modeling or visual side of my projects...

greetings from austria,

christoph
christoph koehler I cy architecturevisualization.
www.cy-architecture.com
www.facebook.com/cyarchitecturevisualization
Anonymous
Not applicable
stefan wrote:
Frankly, these things would be done using the Application Developers Kit for ArchiCAD, which is not VB but C++. Yes, it is compiled and yes it is complex, but it is currently available, at no cost for the developer / end user.
This is what i said in (1). We could do what the plugins do BUT easier and faster.

There are many benefits in using VB for apps. You know them i guess.
Do you think i ignore that there exist an api for developing in C++?
There is such a big difference. Just the interpreted nature of the language helps the user tons. You build and see. You do it inside the app.
You dont have to use Visual Studio 2003 and much much more

If you want to do something complex and huge and require speed then YES use a compiled version.

The main question is. Will a VB for Apps help AC users.

My answer is TONS. You are free to disagree as you are free to say that the sun rises from west.
stefan
Advisor
Visual Basic for Applications is currently rather dated. I have taught it this year to our students of architecture, using AutoCAD and, frankly, the language hasn't aged so well. The implementation in AutoCAD shows many limitations and I had to teach them several workarounds and tricks to do this. I'm not eager to go back to Lisp either.
The licensing of VBA represents a significant cost (its one of those modules that is left out in the free versions of IntelliCAD). Not sure if ArchiCAD would have to increase its price because of that.

I do agree on the advantages of a scripting solution, but I'd rather see GS using Python or Javascript to enable this. And make sure its a cross-platform
solution from day 1.

And please, try to keep the conversation polite. It's already hard enough to discuss in non-native languages using only text.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad28/Revit2024/Rhino8/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sequoia+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
I did not say USE VB for apps. I said use a scripting language LIKE VBA.
I dont care if its is GDL on steroids , or javascript as long as there is a scripting language.

Ruby, like in Sketchup for example would be great
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to find out if the mac version archicad 12 will be compatible with google earth.

Martin Houde architecte
Architectura groupe-conseil inc.
martin wrote:
I would like to find out if the mac version archicad 12 will be compatible with google earth.

Martin Houde architecte
Architectura groupe-conseil inc.
I've been told that GraphiSoft has done all that they can, and it is now in the hands of Google and Apple.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Karl Ottenstein
I must have missed it, but how do any of the examples given for potentially scripted tasks increase productivity by 1000% (10x faster completion of a set of CD's)?

In any case: if you guys want to continue this scripting topic - please start a new thread. The 'news of ac12' has been completely hijacked at this point...

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 28 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rick Thompson
Expert
What.. where am I???? Alice, don't go through that door! I thought this was about AC12? What is code? I r a architect
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display