Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: Placing Site in Existing Drawing

Anonymous
Not applicable
If I've got a building already modeled, how would I ensure it sits at the right elevation on a sloping site if the terrain model is added after the building?

For that matter, how would I be sure to place it properly if I started with the terrain model? Or copied and pasted the building from another model into the one with the site plan?

Wendy
8 REPLIES 8
Aussie John
Newcomer
In the same way a builder would have to do. You need a reference point and reference elevation.
Make some thing in your model which can line up with a point in the terrain. It can be tricky
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or ... along AJ's lines;

Just align it (carefully) in the 3d window (judicious layer selection might be useful - and make sure the 3d window isn't auto-zooming on regeneration) ... and then if you need to add an extra step for the front door - or a slope for the carport...?

Some people would suggest it might be better to design a property in relation to the site? If you're dealing with some kind of (effectively) 'stock' plan then lining it up 'by trial and error' is the _only_ way.

HTH - Stuart
Odd Goderstad
Booster
I would suggest that U make your site in one .pln, and then hotlink in your building.
🙂 Odd Goderstad
GS Norge
Oslo, Norway
Always the latest version ArchiCAD mostly on Windows
twitter: @OddGoderstad
Djordje
Ace
Wendy wrote:
If I've got a building already modeled, how would I ensure it sits at the right elevation on a sloping site if the terrain model is added after the building?
Don't want to go into the whole genius loci discussion, but I do hope you did it with the particular site in mind?

Good grouping, even adding stuff in as modules is essential.

If your municipality decides the gate level or the reference / zero level of the site (here they decide the absolute gate level which has to be project zero) make sure your project zero IS there, find the level on the site and in the project, match it.

How did you model the site?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Wendy,

In a separate Site.pln:
I usually model the site with a Mesh using the Surveyors Height information (Whether it is related of a true Datum or just a reference low point of say 100'). For this discussion let’s say that the Site Mesh has a low point of 84'-0" and a High point of 140'-0". Based on the topography and the desired driveway slope and position of the structure, a garage finish floor is established, say 125'-0". If Garage Slab is 2'-0" below residence Finished floor (which is my Zero Project elevation in the Building) then the Building floor with respect to the Topography is 127-0". Copy Mesh with Building hotspots.

In the Building.pln:
Paste Mesh to corresponding hotspots in Building File and rotate if necessary. Select mesh and open settings. Type -127'-0" into Project Zero height box. This will bring the mesh to the correct project height.

As always this sounds more difficult than it is. The attached JPG is of a similar imported site to a Building design in progress. In this Example the Site minimum is 62'-0" and the thickness is set at -50. Also My Building Project Zero corresponds to a 103'-6" Topography, hence the mesh is set at -103-6".

Site Mesh Option Tip:
So that the Site Mesh is not that "Thick" I will set the Thickness (upper box in Mesh Settings) to -80 for this example. This would cut off the Mesh at 4'-0" below the lowest point of 84'-0". If the thickness is set for -84' or less the Mesh becomes a "skin".
Anonymous
Not applicable
Could not seem to add second attachment to last post. Here it is.
Karl Ottenstein
Wendy wrote:

For that matter, how would I be sure to place it properly if I started with the terrain model? Or copied and pasted the building from another model into the one with the site plan?
The other guys pretty much said it, Wendy. I think the question you're asking is simpler than the answers we're giving (perhaps?) - and the answer is just to drag the terrain up and down in 3D until it is at the designed elevation based on some known locations/points.

A firm that I consult/sub with deals primarily with homes on mountain slopes. We always begin with a full survey of the lot and model the mesh based on that.

The 'right' elevation varies from project to project. In the image below, you can see one of the steeper lots and a preliminary design. We wanted this house as close to the road and as low as possible to minimize cost...but setback and county requirements for the maximum driveway slope constrained things. The architect determined the driveway shape and slope...and it was modeled as a mesh and slabs, then floated in 3D to attach to the garage top-of-slab where they met. The site terrain was then floated in 3D so that the driveway surface just met the surface of the surveyed road. The supporting columns and structure then had to be extended down to bearing soil. Whew.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
The other guys pretty much said it, Wendy. I think the question you're asking is simpler than the answers we're giving (perhaps?) - and the answer is just to drag the terrain up and down in 3D until it is at the designed elevation based on some known locations/points.
Thanks, everyone. I think I'll try your idea first, Karl, and then worry about the other methods. My head is spinning just trying to understand what they're talking about; I ain't got no experience with dealing with real projects of this sort.

BTW, I can't see any of the images posted for some reason.

Wendy