Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Edges: Perpendicular Intersections at Edge?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

The fascia end of the roof I have needs to be perpendicular, rather than vertical. When its set to vertical the edge line up properly, but at perpendicular there is some overlap (see image). How does one resolve this so that the excess roof fascia edge doesn't appear? I've tried SEOs, but that doesn't doe the trick. Thoughts?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
It looks like you are using single roof planes (multi-plane roof will automate this).

You have set the front edges as perpendicular but you have also done the same to the hip and valley edges as well.
You need to set the hip, valley and ridge edges to vertical and only change the eave edge to perpendicular.

Barry.
roof_edges.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Barry,

You are correct they are single plane roofs,

Where do I find the setting to change the edge of the ridge, valley, and hip to vertical? I can only seem to find the one for the eave edge in the settings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, I believe I got it.

Its through the plan view
Clicking on an edge
Select 'Custom Edge' Settings from the pet palette
The change the hip,ridge, etc from the corresponding window - Custom Edge Settings.

If there's another way, please I'm all ears.
Anonymous
Not applicable
EDIT: Found the solution - I need to edit all edges to be defined.

But now this occurs where the fascias meet.

Ideas?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another way to match the edges: Separate two edges slightly (use pet palette to offset edge). Select one roof, then CTRL-click the edge of the other and it will move to where they intersect. Then select the second roof, and CTRL-click the edge of the first and it too will move to where they intersect.
Barry Kelly
ESP182 wrote:
EDIT: Found the solution - I need to edit all edges to be defined.

But now this occurs where the fascias meet.

Ideas?
The edge to the valley on both roof planes need to be vertical.
As Stuart suggested the automatic way is to separate the edges slightly and then force them to trim together (CTRL click).

Or use the multi-plane roof instead of single planes if you can - i.e. if all the eaves are at the same height the multi-plane roof is very easy.
Unfortunately though you can't convert single planes into a multi-plan roof.
But you can create a multi-plane roof and then if you need to edit it in a way that can't be done with the multi-plane (it is basically one big polygon which is brilliant) then you can split it into single planes and edit them separately.

I find the only time I need to split a multi-plane roof is when I have eaves at different heights and have overlapping sections of roof.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11