cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Kickers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a condition and I am trying to figure this out before I start on the plan.

The house will have 2 pitches, a low kicker pitch, then the main structural pitch. I do not know these pitches as of yet but I have used 9:12 and 14:12 in the past. The condition I will be using will have a smooth transition between the 2 pitches.

Do I make it with the 2 pitches and there is some setting that escapes me that has them to be smooth?

Or do I do like 5 pitches and have each one smooth out as it moves from the main one to the lower one?

The catch is, (as seen in the photos attached), is I do not need to show the lines in the roof elevation or floor plan. It needs to be an invisible transition.

Method suggestions appreciated.

kicker.jpg
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
other option. both just have to be "smooth"
Barry Kelly
To get an actual curve then you could try the shell tool or a complex profile wall or beam.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
To get an actual curve then you could try the shell tool or a complex profile wall or beam.

Barry.
Unfortunately even a perfect tangential transition from straight to curve has a line at the tangent. Image below is using a Complex Profile beam.
(PS existing building, not our design 😉 )
Erich
Booster
While it's not as convenient as the roof tool, the shell it the answer. I have used it a number of times in the past few years for similar conditions where seams were completely unacceptable.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erich
Booster
s2art wrote:
Barry wrote:

Barry.
Unfortunately even a perfect tangential transition from straight to curve has a line at the tangent. Image below is using a Complex Profile beam.
The morph tool would fix that if it was a must.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
s2art wrote:
Barry wrote:

Barry.
The morph tool would fix that if it was a must.
Tried to convert it to a morph, but when I deleted the offending line it took the whole surface with it
Anonymous
Not applicable
Instead of deleting line, select both the curved surface and the tangental flat surface. then Design>Modify Morth>Smooth and merge faces. Make sure you preserve boundaries