Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof junction - angled

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to join two sections of roof. The second roof is a triangle at a different pitch and slices into the corner of the regular roof. How can I exactly meet the two top vertices of the first roof? You will see in the diagram that I have approximated by manipulating the pitching line, however this approximation isn't good enough.

roof juntion 04.jpg
5 REPLIES 5
Dwight
Newcomer
You can change a roof node height by [in mac] Command-clicking a node and entering a new value.

Select the target node and Command-clicking this will reveal the heights of the node. Copy the high-lighted value.
Select the node on the other roof to be altered. Command-click, get the values and paste in the new value to match node height.

This won't change the roof slope pivot direction - that may need tuning, but it will change roof slope angle.

I'd say "see the manual," but a quick review doesn't show it to be there....
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
And I keep forgetting that roofs can be placed in the 3D window with great accuracy to determine the correct pivot slope direction.

Place the first three points of a roof in the 3D window to establish the slope by clicking on the relevant nodes --- then add the roof plane.
Dwight Atkinson
Aussie John
Newcomer
I would put your roof pivot line on a known point of the main roof. Then command click on one of the other nodes to again match the other roof. I am not sure which are the critical edges/heights and ultimately that determines the best way to set up the whole roof.

In putting together two roof slopes, there is always the trick of pulling the two joining edges apart, select one of the slopes and command click on the other roof edge that is supposed to meet. The line will jump to its correct position.
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
Djordje
Ace
Dwight wrote:
And I keep forgetting that roofs can be placed in the 3D window with great accuracy to determine the correct pivot slope direction.
3D is the key.

Select the roof you want to adjust, acivate the roof tool, place the cursor on the roof NODE, keep left mouse button pressed. The rightmost ison in the pet palette allows you to pivot the roof around the ref line, matching the node you clicked to any other node.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
You might also set the pitch reference on the upper roof ref and use a negative slope to pitch the roof down - in many instances it is the amount of information available to set the parameters to get the desired results. Once the settings are correct, if a proper position of the lower roof is desired, just use the opposites of the first generated triangle. The section view through the center of the triangle roof could be another method of determining the parameters.