Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roofmaker possible with shell?

Ellis
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I want to make a rafter construction underneath my roof, which I constructed with the shell tool.

I am able to select the shell and click on roofmaker->roof wizard, only I get this message:

'' Please select one roof! To place this element, one roof needs to be selected first!''

The shell is one element, so I can't figure out what to do.

Is it even possible to use the roofwizard command with a shell instead of a roof? My internet searches cannot confirm or deny.

AC26 user, Windows 11
6 REPLIES 6
mthd
Ace

Hi, is your shell roof curved ? As you know the roof wizard works with angled roof planes. I haven’t tested it with curved roof shells. You might have to draw or use curved beams in section to do a curved roof rafter. It would be good if you have a pic to show us. I am sure someone here will be able to tell us more about what we can and can’t do in AC. Please if you can, put your version and computer specs on your signature so we can help you more specifically. Thanks.

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
Ellis
Beginner

Thanks, I've updated my signature, bit new to this. I use AC26.

The shell roof is build up from two profiles, it looks like a normal hip roof, but i'm making an existing situation model and this farm is very crooked, so I used a shell to construct it. I've added a picture.

I was wondering, if the roofmaker tool can't help me, is there a way to ''glue'' a beam to a shell? That it follows the shell shape?

The positive part about roofmaker is that if you want to change your roof shape, the construction goes with it, I would like to achieve this with the shell.

Hope my goal is more clear. Thanks in advance!

Printscreen project farm.png

AC26 user, Windows 11

Thanks, now I can see what you are wanting to do here. It may be possible to model that roof section that is a shell at present into roof planes. Then you could use the roof wizard. Yes you can use the beam tool to follow the slope of the shell when drawing in section even bowing the beam/rafters to suit if needed.

This video on YT might help you to create a multi plane roof ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS6nRRnz00w

Ellis
Beginner

Thanks for your input. I tried making it into separate roofplanes, the problem is that the building roof is too crooked to get a planar shaped roof.

But I found a workaround:

I duplicated the roof shell and offsetted it inward with the roof thickness. So you have an extra shell inside the roof shell, I made this shell only wood material and constructed morphs which would cut out the parts I don't need (with Solid Element Operations), I put the morphs in a hidden layer. What is left is a construction which acts as a shell, so if I change my roof shape slightly, I need to change the ''construction'' shell simultaneously. But in that way the wooden construction always follow the roof shape .

I've added the result. Thanks again for your input!

Printscreen project farm 2.png

AC26 user, Windows 11

Cool ! It sounds like you didn’t need to use the roof wizard after all ? That sounds like a complicated work around and I don’t think I would have the patience to do what you did, to get that fine result above. Resourcefulness and resilience paid dividends for you with that twisted roof frame. 

Lingwisyer
Guru

I did a similar method with some skewed thatched roofs, but instead I used a slab below my model to form a plan negative to use as SEO object.

Lingwisyer_0-1705977278349.png

Lingwisyer_0-1705914418346.png

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660