Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Scaling in Views vs Scaling in Layouts.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys- I am curious what you guys think the pros and cons are for scaling in your views as opposed to scaling in your layouts?

I only scale in my Layout book. All of my views are at 1/4"=1'-0"
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scaling in the layout breaks way too many symbols and makes it nearly impossible to draw notes and dimensions properly. I see no advantages to it and LOTS of problems.
Anonymous
Not applicable
So if you are only scaling in your views then you have to have different notes layer and dimension layers for all the different scales that you are using in your views right?

I like to scale in my Layouts because I only need one layer for notes and dimensions and they will scale up and down them selves when I change the scale.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since my floor plan, enlarged plan, plan details, etc. notes and dimensions are typically different I want separate layers for them anyway.
Anonymous
Not applicable
True enough.
I don't recall too many probelems that I have run into with scaling in the layout.

But, lots of times, we have to submit drawings to the review boards around here almost weekly, We usuaully submit 11x17 size sheets for the board member and we print a 24x36 sheet for a poster board.

So... in this case our 11 x 17's are usually 1/8" and our 24x36 are usually 1/4" - so scaling in teh view would mean I would have to have the same notes and dimensions copied twice and on two different layers to account for the different scales.

This seems like an easy way to lose notes and dimensions and changes through the drawings.
True?

What do you mean breaks symbols?

I guess the only time I really run into an issue is if I am doing a site plan/diagram.
these go out in different sizes too.
usually a scale os 1:20 or 50 I have to bounce back in forth between the layout and the view to get notes and what ever to look right.

This also means different pen sets.

SO - another question:
Do you guys have different pen sets for different scaled drawings?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesikuh123 wrote:
True enough.
I don't recall too many probelems that I have run into with scaling in the layout.

But, lots of times, we have to submit drawings to the review boards around here almost weekly, We usuaully submit 11x17 size sheets for the board member and we print a 24x36 sheet for a poster board.

So... in this case our 11 x 17's are usually 1/8" and our 24x36 are usually 1/4" - so scaling in teh view would mean I would have to have the same notes and dimensions copied twice and on two different layers to account for the different scales.

This seems like an easy way to lose notes and dimensions and changes through the drawings.
True?
Not true. You can just decide which layers you want on in each view regardless of the scale. Rescaling for presentations can also be done at print time (either 50% or 200% or whatever).
What do you mean breaks symbols?
Most markers, labels, etc. are scale sensitive, meaning that they adjust themselves to print at the same size regardless of the scale of the view. Scaling drawings in the layout will make them change size accordingly, which is usually (but not always) not wanted. On the other hand some markers (such as the "Section Marker_NCS 11") do scale up and down with the settings in the layout. Letting the views define the scale avoids any complications or confusion. It's much easier to maintain consistent results throughout an office when the rule is to set up the view and let it define the drawing.
I guess the only time I really run into an issue is if I am doing a site plan/diagram. these go out in different sizes too.
usually a scale os 1:20 or 50 I have to bounce back in forth between the layout and the view to get notes and what ever to look right.

This also means different pen sets.

SO - another question:
Do you guys have different pen sets for different scaled drawings?
Yes, but only for subtleties like adjusting the thickness of the cut lines (typically pen 1) which I set to 0.35mm at 1/8" scale and 0.5mm at 1/4" scale.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a problem-

I scale my drawing to 1/16 = 1' in the working drawing environment.

I paste it into the layout, and it goes there just fine, except the scale is not right. My building is 175' x 54', and at 1/16 scale that size should comfortably fill an 11x17 size layout. However, it is small, it fits the site plus all of the surrounding landscape.

I looked into the settings of the displayed drawing, and it says that the current scale is 1/16" = 1', and that the original drawing is 1/16" = 1'. Does this mean that it's scaling it twice? That would explain why it's so small on the layout. I don't know how to make the layout 1:1 or the working drawing space 1:1.

I'm familiar with paperspace in AutoCAD, evidently it works differently here. The tutorials I have skip over scaling completely.

Help!

Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I figured out what the problem was.

The PROBLEM is that I imported the basic lines from a DWG file, but they imported as separate lines, and not as one whole drawing.

Even though I'm working in real dimensions in the workspace, and the measurements are correct everywhere, somehow when I scale it, I think it might be scaling to the original size of the lines when they were first imported.

This makes me very sad, as I've already built most of my project.

I tried to re-import the dwg as a whole drawing, but every time I try (open, import, etc) it comes in as lines that have to be scaled up. If I could get that to work maybe I could just copy paste the 3d stuff.... which would be tough anyways since they're based on the stories that I've defined.

Is the only way to remedy this to multiply whatever's on my Layout by the proper amount to get to the size it should display at 1/16" scale?

I am sad that the dwgs I brought in are messing with the scaling properties of my archicad file

hellllp
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, you know what, I REALLY figured out what the problem was.

I set my layout as 17' x 11'.

So when I went to measure what the site should be 1/16" = 1', and it was the right size....

Yeah. Okay. Nevermind.