BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sections - what's your approach?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to determine the best approach to adding detail to sections for a residential project. Specifically, where the foundation, floor sandwich, and wall base all come together: do you model everything with custom profiles, or do you keep things simple and fill in detail in 2D?
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's one...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
Looks good, but I don't know if the graphics would "fly" with the computer illiterate principals here...
hi steven could you explain computer illiterate principles please
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry, I think I used the wrong word, I mean "principals". The two architects here don't know quite what ArchiCAD can do; they do not use the computer much and do not use ArchiCAD at all. So, they stick to the graphic standards they were taught in school and expect that in the drawings we produce.
Anonymous
Not applicable
No, I guess I used the right word...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone get a 3D section to look like the one I have attached without taking a year to make complex profiles like that? The problem with that house too is that it's quite large and the eave, roof, foundation, and floor details change 3 or 4 times throughout the house. This would take a bunch of profiles, correct?
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok mate got ya. cheers.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
Here's one...
How did you draw that batt insulation?
Erich
Contributor
I don't know what Steven uses, but Olivier Dentan wrote a wonderful insulation object that is easy to use and very flexible. Take a look here:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/archilib.od/
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
As I teach VB at an architecture university for 5 years now, the problem of not being able to extract perfect looking drawings from the model has been discussed many times, with students and colleges.

I also design, so I totally understand the need to communicate clearly ones intends, and also the price of poorly coordinated drawings

Here are my 5 cents:

- Drawing is more flexible than modeling, so there is always stuff that takes much more work to represent correctly on the model than in a flat cad drawing.

- You can model practically everything to obtain "perfect" drawings, but the longer it takes to do the more money you loose.

- For the same amount of effort, 2d drawings are probably better looking than 2d from a model.

But:

The clarity of drawings you may loose from doing a 100%model derived drawing is largely compensated by the coordination and correctness you get from it.

So, if the choice is between pretty drawings that are based on paper and pen conventions from last century or correct drawings, I think this is a no brainer.

As long as the constructor understands our intend, you should not go any further in trying to perfect the looks of your drawings, especially if this will rob work hours from the job you where given: designing.

James Murray explains this much better, as usual: http://www.onland.info/archives/2006/03/beauty_is_third.php
Anonymous
Not applicable
svenl wrote:
Steven wrote:
Here's one...
How did you draw that batt insulation?
That is the insulation symbol that comes with ArchiCAD. Use the object tool, go under Object library" - "General" - "Thermal & moisture protection" - "Thermal Protection" then click on the "Insul fib" part. You can stretch it, rotate it, change lineweights, etc.
Learn and get certified!