Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Showing Walls As Dashed Lines On Home Story

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Does anyone know of a way that I can get walls to show as dashed lines on the home story? I need an override setting similar to what can be done in model view options with beams etc. I'm trying to do some concrete profile/ slab set-out plans using layer combinations on the home story and would really like to show all walls as dashed for clarity.

I'm using archicad 12 on a PC. Any Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
One way is to put a fill on top of the element you want to display dashed. This fill has a hatch with white lines and transparent background.

The other is to create a complex profile for the footing and apply it to a beam which should let you control it like you need

have not opened 12 in a long time.
Screen Shot 2013-07-17 at 10.22.09 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

How about just creating another story with zero-height?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you both for your suggestions.

Richard, can you please go into more detail on what your are proposing. I'm assuming that putting in another level would mean that my slabs and walls would end up being on different levels, which wouldn't be ideal.

Thanks
Walter,
No, that's not what I mean at all. Everything stays on its "Home Story", but you can display these objects on other stories (e.g. Home Story plus One Story Up) with different linestyles.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ahhhh I see. That makes sense.

It works for slabs, but walls don't have the option for showing on home story and one up, only all relevant stories. I can get the walls to show on the level using the story cut settings however, I can't get them to appear as dashed lines (the overhead lines for walls are set to dashed).
Barry Kelly
If you want to use the overhead line for the wall then you must change the floor plan display from "symbolic" to "overhead".

Or you could turn off the "apply structure's settings" in the floor plan settings of the wall tool and change the line style to what you want.

Barry.
wall_overhead.jpg
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
You could make a separate view with a floor plan cut plane so high you would see the walls as overhead. So for example the wall is 2800 mm from floor level up, set up the cutplane at 2900. You might not see all wall openings this way though.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
IMHO - It is necessary to be able to display walls in a dashed line on a discretionary basis,
ie without changing the global wall tool settings. What I need is more flexibility in wall display.
Either in Tool settings, View Settings or Drawing Settings - preferably all three.

In tool settings, provide walls with the same Floor Plan Display options as slabs.
Combined with the Floor Plan Cut Plane settings this could be a lifesaver.
I can already hear someone at GS ask - But why?, - it is illogical!
Because it is quite necessary for workarounds in our symbolic world of architectural delineation.
At a minimum - Framing plans and renovation plans would benefit.

In View Settings, create a tab to alter the linetypes, similar to the pen set option.
This could be as simple as an override or at best create an option to select from alternate linetype sets.
If we had line type sets just like pen type sets ... sweet sweet...
Wouldn't need this often, but when you do, it would be awesome.

In Drawing settings - the same linetype override as I mention in Views above.
Sometimes it is more convenient to stack several views of the same floor plan with different settings to create what we need.

And how about the same in Model View Options? One can dream...

As for making this a wish - I think the wishing well reached flood stage years ago.