Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sloping Profiler

Scott Bulmer
Booster
I seem to have forgotten how to make a sloping profile. Can someone please advise me before I kill myself.
Thanks, as usual.
Scott

Axo 2B.jpg
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
60 REPLIES 60
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is this OK for you ?
Test.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott wrote:
I seem to have forgotten how to make a sloping profile. Can someone please advise me before I kill myself.
Scott
Use ArchiForma add-on or 3D Profiler from CadImageTools instead AC std profiler in such cases.
Stress Co_
Advisor
Z.Bauer wrote:
Scott wrote:
Scott

Use ArchiForma add-on or 3D Profiler from CadImageTools instead AC std profiler in such cases.

Scott:

If you don't already have 3D Profiler.... check with your Archicad reseller. I "think" it was packaged with an Archicad subscription (update to 10), along with "Virtual Tutor 9".

Marc
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.5 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Marc wrote:
If you don't already have 3D Profiler.... check with your Archicad reseller. I "think" it was packaged with an Archicad subscription (update to 10), along with "Virtual Tutor 9".
Marc/Zohrab,
You are correct. 3D Profiler from CadImage will make what we need (Carrere, your's must be from CadImage). The Profiler tool within AC9 only defines horizontal objects. Further as mentioned, CadImage's 3D Profiler now comes with the subscription for AC10, clearly the way to go.
Thanks so much for your time.
Scott
AC27 v. 4060 w/ MEP, Cadimage, Twinmotion 2023.2.2 using AC from AC6.0, 2021 MacPro M1 chip, Adobe CC. Used AC on both platforms.
Scott Bulmer
Booster
We acquired Cadimage 3D Profiler and are unable to manipulate the sloping profile segment without affecting the contiguous segment (torsional twisting). The manual mentioned that it is preferable to "tilt to roof" to avoid this situation, however we have been unsuccessful in tilting just the single desired segment; when attempted, all segments tilt. Is there a secrete way to acomplish this, or do I just want my cake & eat it too?
Thank you,
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott,

You might want to consider whether this detail will actually work out in the field. I'm not sure that a carpenter could realistically miter this corner and get it to work properly without a slight return, a corner block, or something to aid in the transition. You might be better off with a different detail here.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Scott Bulmer
Booster
Peter wrote via link:
If the cross section is held constant
then the miter can't be plumb and you have to make a transition houlder. This is very similar to the classical "raking moldings" geometry.
Excellent descriptive geometry explanation that I agree with. Prior to making my post we did try breaking up the corner into segments that partially worked, but not very well. I was hoping that, as partially noted in the manual, one could slope one segment of the whole to the roof solving this problem. If you can't, then close enough will have to do.

Further I agree with Richard's comments, but I don't think that 3D Profiler can do that either.

Thank you again for your thoughts.
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
Scott,
As Richard points out there are geometry problems with what
you are trying to do.
In the thread I referenced in my last post and the thread
referenced in that thread the issues involving Profiler and
more generally eave rake transitions are discussed.
I made some eave to rake transitions using some molding
profile objects to test those issues.
Please see attached image.
#2 was made by scaling the eave moulding vertically
so that it's plumb cut length is equal to the the eave
molding's plumb cut length.
I extended this object and then tried to subtract with
down ward extrusion the eave molding from the rake
molding using SEO. I might try again too see if I can
get #2 to work because I think this was done in classical
detailing by carving the scaled rake profile to meet the eave profile.
Peter Devlin