Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Solid Element Operations

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am a new comer to this great operation. But my question is this.

When undertaking the process there are two options given, whether the 'target' inherits the attributes of the operator or uses (keeps) their own. After undertaking many 'subtractions' with the targets inheriting the attributes of the operators, I now require that the targets regain their own, original attributes.

I understand I may not have explained myself clearly, but I'm hoping some people will know what I'm talking about.
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable
You need to cancel and redo the SEOs with the desired settings.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks. I was hoping there may be a quick switch or something as I have undertaken 50+ operations.

Oh well.......🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable
You said you wanted the targets to return to their original attributes.

I don't know if this is what you are referring to, but here is how I use SEO's.

I put the target on its layer, and I put the operator on a different layer which will be turned off. When looking in 3D mode, you will see the target after the SEO operation.

If you want to return the target to its original attributes, simply delete the operator on the hidden layer, and the target is restored to where you first started.

Grant
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I also hide the operator on a different layer to keep void/subtracted area open.

However, where walls have been cut through, say glass, the edges of where the wall has been cut takes on the attributes of the operator ( when box ticked) . So, unless you use a glass operator, the edges will be different. The only other way is to request that materials keep their own attributes.

This all makes sense looking back and I'm just hoping there may be a way to escape re-doing all the operations and get the edges of the glass to be glass and not any other material.

Thanks for you input though
If you selected 'Inherit attributes', you can change the attributes (pens, materials) of operators and their effects will update.

Helps sometimes. With 50 ops, there is a do-over in your future I fear.

Group the operators of a given operation type (eg subtract up), for a given target, and you can redo the op more easily.

I do this with the slabs I use to subtract up from my site mesh. If I have to add a slab, or split one, I simply add it to the group and do the op over. Not bad. Remember to use ungroup/group so your group nesting doesn't get out of hand.
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Anonymous
Not applicable
I fear there is a do-over looming too!

Thanks for the words of advice.
Karl Ottenstein
James wrote:
If you selected 'Inherit attributes', you can change the attributes (pens, materials) of operators and their effects will update.
I've got a curvy GDL object (profiler-like extrusion) that cuts the ends of a bunch of beams ... and regardless of the attributes of the beams or the object, or 'inherit' or not, the cut surface is what looks like whitewash, not the wood material of the objects involved. Re-did the SEO several times. No joy.

Ever run into something like that and find a solution?

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
Karl wrote:
I've got a curvy GDL object (profiler-like extrusion) that cuts the ends of a bunch of beams ... and regardless of the attributes of the beams or the object, or 'inherit' or not, the cut surface is what looks like whitewash, not the wood material of the objects involved. Re-did the SEO several times. No joy.
Hmmmm ... screen shot, please?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Karl wrote:
(profiler-like extrusion) that cuts the ends of a bunch of beams ... and regardless of the attributes of the beams or the object, or 'inherit' or not, the cut surface is what looks like whitewash, not the wood material of the objects involved.
I just tried it with an EXTRUDE, and the material inherits correctly and updates if I change it. Works whether the cutter is on a wireframe layer or not.

Subtracting down didn't work, it just did a regular subtract. Subtracting up worked. SEOs still have a lot of glitches where objects are concerned. A couple more:

I was trying to teach my steel beam to cut its own beam pocket in wall, when I noticed it would only subtract down, not up. Note this is the opposite of the behavior of the beam above!

Objects with macro calls won't subtract.

A PRISM only cuts when its Z axis is parallel to the subtraction extrusion direction. In other words, they need to be 'right side up'. BPRISM, however, will cut sideways.

SEOs are almost there, but they need to be watched.
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info