cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Stair - Relevant Story

Lingwisyer
Guru
Hi all,

I've been working with a zero story between my ground and basement story to model the site recently and I have now run into the issue of being unable to display a staircase on the top story it is connected to as "One Story Up" happens to be the zero story... The stories are set to the internal FSL but given that the stair in question is external, it has a negative value to the top story and hence appear to ignore it... Do anyone have a workaround?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
Is your stair set to show on 'All relevant storeys' or 'All relevant & one storey up' ?
Rather than 'Home & one storey up.

Then you should be able to adjust how it displays on each storey.
And it won't show on the storeys higher than the top of the stair.

You can also link the top of the stair to the ground floor rather than the site storey - although this should not make any difference in this case as it is a zero height storey.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru
When set to "All Relevant" a stair gains display options for each story it cuts through. In this case, "All Relevant" is the same as "Home" as it does not cut into any other story.

The only way I've manage to get it to display is to set the home story to Site, then input a negative offset with the stair set to display on the story above and below. In doing so I lose the story link...

Barry Kelly
It doesn't really show, but the stair and settings in the image I showed before is set in the basement storey for its home storey.
Its top is linked to the site storey (zero height storey above the basement and below ground storey).
It could also be linked to the ground storey - it should make no difference.

When set to show on all relevant stories it is showing on the basement, site and ground storeys.
It doesn't show on any storey above that.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru
That would be due to you having a positive top offset meaning that it cuts into the zero and ground stories. In my case, I have negative offset hence it does not cut into these stories.

Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
That would be due to you having a positive top offset meaning that it cuts into the zero and ground stories. In my case, I have negative offset hence it does not cut into these stories.
Ah yes I see.
I have a top offset of 100 (not sure why the AUS template defaults to this).

When set to zero (or in your case negative), then you are correct.
It does not intersect with that storey and therefore does not show.
We only have the option to display + one storey.
So because you have the zero height site storey, this messes the display up for you.

The only solution I can see is to get rid of the site storey and use site layers instead - that can be turned on/off as you need them.

I have always been a believer in one storey for each floor level and not using phantom storeys for site, foundation, ceilings, roofs, etc., like I have seen.
I just use layers to show or hide what I want.
The down side of this is that you have site layers for each floor - which really makes no sense.

Your other option is to copy and paste (or create) a 2D view of the stair to the ground floor.
Or as you mentioned place the stair in the site storey.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Lingwisyer
Guru
Barry wrote:
The only solution I can see is to get rid of the site storey and use site layers instead - that can be turned on/off as you need them.

My use was actually the opposite of this. It allows me to hide all the buildings when creating the site without needing separate layers for site works built using things other then meshes. Originally I had this layer at the bottom of the stack, but found that that became an issue when the story levels changed or when new stories were added.

Ling.

Lingwisyer
Guru
The stories that the stair are linked to should always count as "Relevant Stories" regardless of whether the stair cuts into that stories zone.

A new option in the Floor Plan Display Layouts would be needed in order to hide the stair if needed if this was to happen.

Ling.