Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Straight polyline vs straight regular line

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know a polyline that is curved and has lots of nodes takes more processing than a straight polyline, but does a straight polyline require more processing than a straight regular line of the same distance in AC ?
And if so, by what percentage if known.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hope no one minds a little bump:-))
See below/above.
Hope that makes sense.
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
lec1212 wrote:
I know a polyline that is curved and has lots of nodes takes more processing than a straight polyline, but does a straight polyline require more processing than a straight regular line of the same distance in AC ?
And if so, by what percentage if known.
It isn't an easy question to answer. You might get some idea by creating a project with thousands of lines and another with thousands of polylines, and then compare the project size and handling speed.

All I can say for certain is that the API data structures for a polyline will use more RAM than the structure for a line, in the order of 64 or more bytes.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ralph
Thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
lec1212,

Off subject, but.....

I avoid the use of lines because AC uses them as the default for all kinds of automatically generated images. For example in the 2D symbol view of a custom library object, you get thousands of line segments everywhere, independent sections have duplicate lines everywhere. So it is convenient to know this and be able to erase all lines in these cases, then use polylines and fill edits to finish up your drawings. Editing the polylines is so much simpler than finding and editing lines.

IMHO,
Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Snap

Thanks for the heads up.
Gonna have to think that one through a bit.