Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Superposition BEAM - SLAB

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok.. i want to draw a 2nd story slab and the beams that support it.. however.. both are projected on the 1st story with "hidden line" and they are superspositioned and instead of having a projected slab.. i have a continious line..

how do i make them match so i can see both projected lines..

did i make myself clear enough?

Capture.JPG
10 REPLIES 10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you mean that both the Slab is shown with hidden line and the Beam is also shown with hidden line, but around the outer edges these two hidden lines have their segments and gaps overlapping so it looks like a continuous line?
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
If the the problem is as Laszlo describes, one workaround could be to draw a 2d dashed line around the outer edge of the slab, using a thick white pen, and use draw order to ensure it displays at the front. This will mask the lines behind making them appear dashed, regardless of whether they actually are.

Not really in the spirit of BIM, but hope it helps!
dashed_line_mask1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
jaja yes thats exactly what i ment.. but i was kind of looking for a BIM solution.. i thought maybe the software had an option to match these overlapping hidden lines.. that would be very useful
Erika Epstein
Booster
Another option would be to hide the layer of the floor slab and show only the 'beam'.
This would negate the two overlapping dashed lines.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Elegant solution Erika.

Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
The problem is coming from the fatc that for both dashed lines (slab and beam) have a different origins. The slab side and the beam side start from opposite sides. You could invert the direction of each beam individually, getting this way the same origin and correctly overlapping dashed lines,
Any way Erika's solution is the most BIM
KeesW
Advocate
I think that Archicad has lots of similar problems that should by now have been sorted. If I have a new slab abutting an existing slab, and put a tiled fill as a thin slab over, the joint between the slabs will show through. The joint should, of course, be obscured by the floor finish. We get round it by moving the slab to the back and the fill to the front. Floor and window sills should obscure floor and wall edges - but they often don't.

The obscuring of one solid element by another should happen by default. If users want something different, they could change settings.

Maybe it happens because Archicad solids are not really solids - they only appear solid because the software makes it seem so. Is this statement correct?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kees,
Yeah, Lots GS needs to do. The slab over beam and resulting conflict of outlines is due the fact that AC objects don't know where they are.
For example: I can draw a pipe through a wall, and AC won't alert me that there is a potential "two objects in one space".
If AC had what is usually called "collision detection" AND they implemented it fully, then yes, one solid above another would automatically "cover" the lower objects line-work.
But I don't think I want to have a true solid modeler on my hands either.
The level of complexity gets higher as the abstraction gets removed.
IE: more reality = more work, both for me and the CPU.
Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
the thing is that if i turn one layer off.. i would have to draw independet dashed lines..

i just found out that if i split the beam.. i can manually move it or mirror it so the dashed lines would match the slab's