Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Template File Importing Other Attributes

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been working on a template file for our office and have put a lot of effort into fixing the attributes. I haven't opened it in a while but now when I open the .tpl, it has imported attributes from other files. It has completely changed my layer combinations and layers to what is being used in other projects, readded profiles and composites that I've deleted, etc.

No one has touched my .pln's of the templates and no one would even know how to create a new .tpl from those .pln's. Previously, a template file for the office would just have been the last project copied and pasted for the new project. Since I was brought on 5 months ago, I've been working to create a .tpl file to use which has already greatly decreased the amount of issues they we were having.

Is there any way to figure out why other project's attributes are being imported into the template and how to stop it? If there is nothing I can do to fix it, how can I keep this from happening in the future? Create .aat files of all the attributes? Keep my work on a flash drive and only save a .tpl to the server when a new project begins?

We use ArchiCAD 18 and CadImage. I fear that CadImage could be the issue because I've talked with someone else that says she is having an issue with CadImage importing into her .tpl's also.
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just opened the project that the .tpl was created from. Luckily, it is not importing other file's attributes so I've found where I can remake the .tpl from and not lose all of my attributes. But I'm still wondering why this would happen and how to fix it / keep it from happening.

Thanks!
KG
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Any pre-hotlinked files in your Template? Or pre-placed DWG/DXF files somewhere? Those may bring in their own attributes.
Also, libraries may contain MASTERGDL files that can create attributes.
Also, copy-pasting elements from other project files may bring in their own attributes.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
In the Attribute Manager are any of the imported attributes italicized? This means they are brought in via GDL. Usually a library part included in a library or add-on, but this kind of problem usually affects fills and surfaces, etc. I haven't seen it myself with layers.

If you copy/paste from other files, it will bring in all the attributes of those elements. Same with hotlink moduling. This can play havoc with polluting your attributes but it shouldn't overwrite them, thus changing your layer combos, etc.

That sounds like more of an add-on issue to me. Try contacting Cadimage they are very responsive and should be able to help you narrow down the issue whether it's theirs or not. Please let us know what you figure out!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Any pre-hotlinked files in your Template? Or pre-placed DWG/DXF files somewhere? Those may bring in their own attributes.
Also, libraries may contain MASTERGDL files that can create attributes.
Also, copy-pasting elements from other project files may bring in their own attributes.
Laszlo,

There are no hotlinks, DWG/DXF files, or elements copied/pasted in this template file. I was very diligent with these items knowing that they bring in their own attributes. I do think I should delete and reload my libraries. I knew that they would bring their own attributes which is fine but I didn't think it would affect things like layers. There may be something hidden in the libraries though that I need to purge out.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
In the Attribute Manager are any of the imported attributes italicized? This means they are brought in via GDL. Usually a library part included in a library or add-on, but this kind of problem usually affects fills and surfaces, etc. I haven't seen it myself with layers.

If you copy/paste from other files, it will bring in all the attributes of those elements. Same with hotlink moduling. This can play havoc with polluting your attributes but it shouldn't overwrite them, thus changing your layer combos, etc.

That sounds like more of an add-on issue to me. Try contacting Cadimage they are very responsive and should be able to help you narrow down the issue whether it's theirs or not. Please let us know what you figure out!

Cheers,
Link.
I don't see any attributes italicized which is good but as I mentioned to Laszlo, I'm going to purge my libraries just to be safe.

I am very diligent with copy/pasting. I do know that that will corrupt a file quickly. I also removed all hotlinks prior to creating the template. Typically when a hotlink is removed, it also removes all the attributes associated with it.

I do think this may be related to CadImage. I've talked with someone else at another office who says it has begun to corrupt her .tpl's also. Both of our .tpl's and .plns's were fine when we saved them. Neither of us had made updates to those files either but somehow things are importing themselves into these files that have had no changes made to them. This is not something either of us have seen before CadImage was introduced into our projects. I will contact them to see if they know why this could be happening.

I will definitely update this thread once I find out more.

Thanks!
KG
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
KGrace wrote:
Typically when a hotlink is removed, it also removes all the attributes associated with it.
XREFs perhaps but not Hotlinked Modules AFAIK.

Cheers,
Link.
A little off-topic, but still applicable...

I was pulling my hair out updating our AC18 Template to AC19. Attribute proliferation has always been a problem, but it seems to have gotten worse.

We had several Embedded Library Objects attaching themselves to files and bringing Attributes along with them. Where these Objects came from is the mystery.

GS was no help because the Objects seem to be Cadimage in origin (judging by their names) -- we do not use CadImage objects or plug-ins, but suspect a company we were sharing a Teamwork file with was (they deny it).

So I had Cadimage investigate. After about a month of back-and-forth, Cadimage found no solution to the issue. The best we could determine was that the problem had to do with the way AC uses Embedded Libraries.

We tried this: cut/pasted a 2D line from an "infected file" to a New file created from an out-of-the-box AC19 Template -- it brought ALL the aforementioned embedded library Objects [and Attributes] with it.

The "pull my hair out" part was when new Attributes would over overwrite existing Attributes. This happens most frequently with Fills and Line Types, but has also happened with Surfaces and Building Materials.

I strongly suspect this is all interrelated, but I can't get GS to even look at the problem. All we can do for now is avoid cutting/pasting between project files.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Laura,

Could you do a short experiment?

Maybe the file's data structure got corrupted somehow and this is why it brings those attributes.
Please try this:

1. Copy the 2D line from the infected file.
2. Paste it into a new file in AC19.
3. Now, copy the 2D line you just pasted to the AC 19 file from the file.
4. Paste it into another new file in AC19.

My thinking is that if the file's data structure is corrupted, it is corrected at the first paste (but the attributes still come through).
However, at 3. above you copy a correct data structure and hopefully that will paste into the new AC19 file without bringing attributes with it.

(My other thought was that maybe the 2D line was part of a group and the whole group was copy-pasted and that brought in undesired attributes, but I guess that would be too obvious a reason.)
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
laszlonagy wrote:
1. Copy the 2D line from the infected file.
2. Paste it into a new file in AC19.
3. Now, copy the 2D line you just pasted to the AC 19 file from the file.
4. Paste it into another new file in AC19.
I followed the steps above, and the Objects/Attributes DID NOT come into the second file.

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning, but can tell you this has been spreading throughout files within our office, so multiple data structures have been corrupted.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004