Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Text size between workspace and Layout book

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to be able to select a text size when working on a project in the workspace, then when I transfer the drawing to the layout book and change its scale, I want the text size to remain the same size as when I created it in the workspace and not change with altered scaling of the drawling in the layout.

Is this possible? If so, how? If not, why?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
goose724 wrote:
I want to be able to select a text size when working on a project in the workspace, then when I transfer the drawing to the layout book and change its scale, I want the text size to remain the same size as when I created it in the workspace and not change with altered scaling of the drawling in the layout.

Is this possible? If so, how? If not, why?
yep.
select all text on your drawing (use find and select to make your life easy) and go to the settings on the text tool. Select on the bottom right hand corner the 'scaled' option. That'll keep the text the same size relative to it's surroundings as you change the scale of the drawing.
HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried the option you suggested, and it still scales the text up and down with the scale of the drawing.

When I am typing the text on my drawing, and I choose for it to be, say 36 pt. When I put the drawing on the Layout, I want that 36 pt to remain no matter what scale I change the drawing to in the layout book. That way, no matter what the different scales are for the various drawings on any particular layout page, the text size will always be the same 36 pt.
TomWaltz
Participant
goose724 wrote:
I tried the option you suggested, and it still scales the text up and down with the scale of the drawing.

When I am typing the text on my drawing, and I choose for it to be, say 36 pt. When I put the drawing on the Layout, I want that 36 pt to remain no matter what scale I change the drawing to in the layout book. That way, no matter what the different scales are for the various drawings on any particular layout page, the text size will always be the same 36 pt.
You will need to define two views for the drawing, one at each scale, before you place them on the layout.

Rule #1 of Layout Organization: Define a view before you place it on the sheet!
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have all of my views defined.

This is the question:

Can text applied to a drawing not be affected when the drawing is scaled in the layout book?

I do not want to define multiple views for the same drawing. I do however want to be able to adjust the scale of that drawing in the layout book as i see fit, with out having the text that is a part of it to be affected by that scaling factor.

I want to be able to choose one text size when creating my design. When I slice and dice the project up to different views and then place them into the layout book and adjust their scales accordingly, I want the text to remain the same size it was when I added to the project to begin with, no matter if the scale of the drawing in the layout is 1/4" = 1' or 1/16" = 1'. That way I have one text size throughout all of my layout sheets, regardless of the scale of the drawing it is in.

I need to be able to independently change the scale of the drawing in the layout book as I see fit without having to the text size on it affected.
TomWaltz
Participant
goose724 wrote:
I need to be able to independently change the scale of the drawing in the layout book as I see fit without having to the text size on it affected.
If you want to change the scale of the view, change it in the defined view. Changing the defined view will keep the text the same printed size (36 pts) .

Changing the placed view will scale your view photographically, making the text shrink or grow on the printed page.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
goose724 wrote:

apologies i misunderstood.
so select the fixed size option.

-if i understand this correctly now you have text on a drawing that it's viewset scale is say 1:500... so you place that on a layout and all text is readable. But then you want to change that scale to say 1:20 and you want the text to remain the same size as it apprears on the 1:500 thereby becoming small (perhaps too smal to read?)??
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is always best to have scale defined by the view and not override this in the layout environment. The big problem with text and scale is the amount of space the text takes up. I you have text set to "fixed" this is very easy to see in you working environment by changing the scale to a smaller scale and all of a sudden you have text overlapping other text and you can not read anything. Views are fast and easy to create and organize, so the best procedure is to create a separate view for each intended output scale. When you work on that project you work "within" that view so what you see is what you get.