BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Three floor column

Tom Krowka
Booster
Is there any way to make the same column show up on more than the floor it was placed on? It"s not really how it would be built, but it makes darn sure loads are in line on the drawings.

Thanks
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sadly, no. At least not with the column tool.

Walls and columns seem to be the last holdouts for showing on multiple stories. This is probably due to the complexities of automatic clean-up in plan.

But...

You can do it with a slab or library part. In AC9 the slab can now have a cover fill so it will work for simple columns. Of course, a library part can do just about anything you want if you have the resources to make it work.

The one thing you can't have is the automatic clean intersections. This can probably be managed with "bring forward"/"send backward" in plan, and for 3D clean-up there are SEOs.

Chances are you can do what you want and still keep it clean without resorting to patches and such.
Tom Krowka
Booster
A slab it is!
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Tom Krowka
Booster
OK. I made the column from a slab. When I put it inside a wall, it does not show up on plan. Tried the display order, bring to front, but to no avail. It shows up fine outside a wall.

Any clues how to make that column show up inside a wall in plan?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
It's a little on the pricey side, but Masterpost_WD at Objects Online is pretty slick for wood framing posts. It tracks point loads very well.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
OK. I made the column from a slab. When I put it inside a wall, it does not show up on plan. Tried the display order, bring to front, but to no avail. It shows up fine outside a wall.

Any clues how to make that column show up inside a wall in plan?
I don't have any problem. I just place the slab and bring to front. Are your fill settings and display options set correctly?
Tom Krowka
Booster
Turns out there were two walls I was inserting the slab/column into, which I did not know. Once I deleted one, no problem.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Learn and get certified!