BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Trace not aligning

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a simple house/garage and want to show the relationship between the two. I go to the house section, and go to trace in the section @ the garage. When I do, it does not align in plan. The heights are in the right alignment, but it doesn't want to align horizontally. I've had this issue on other projects: I'll be in elevation and go to trace in a section, and the section is waaaay off to the side somewhere, aligned vertically but not horizontally. Am I doing something wrong??
11 REPLIES 11
owen
Newcomer
Steven wrote:
owen wrote:
Are these sections looking in the same direction? Just thinking they might be flipped around the origin if not .. (can't see where the origin is in the image)
Yes, the sections are both in the same direction
pretty obvious one i know .. worth a shot though
gkmethy wrote:
Two views can be automatically aligned in both X and Y direction only if one is a direct "derivative" of the other. E.g. a floor plan, and a section placed on that floor plan. Or a section, and a detail placed on that section. Two sections do not have that relationship, so ArchiCAD can not align them. They will be vertically aligned, and placed next to each other. You can use the "drag reference" command to manually align them in X direction.

Greg
i don't know why this hadn't bothered me before but this behaviour is really dumb

Everything in AC is positioned in XYZ space so what on earth would be so hard about automatically align/overlay sections as they should be seen?? I mean it must have occured this is exactly what people will use Trace & Reference for .. they even show it for just this purpose in the GS demo vids!
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah ha! So I'm not going crazy. Must this also mean that the little green men that come out from under my bed at night are real?
Learn and get certified!