cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Transform object into a beam/ columns

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
I'm working in AC15 and I'm using steel columns/beams from the AC object library.

I was wondering if it's possible to transform those object into beams, once you create them.

Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Katalin Takacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
The objects cannot be converted to beams, but using Custom Profiles you can create any shape of profiles for Beams or Columns as well.
Furthermore, there are some predefined Steel Profiles in ArchiCAD that can be used (Options menu > Import Standard Steel Profile): http://www.graphisoft.com/ftp/publishing/ac15_help_INT/Files/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=...

It's a great collection, I can recommend it.
Katalin Takacs
Erika Epstein
Booster
Or were you wanting to change the Element Classification Type for scheduling purposes? For example you drew an object with the Column tool, but are using it for a beam? Under tags and categories you can change its Element Classification Type from the default Archicad Type which will list it as a column to Beam. In your schedules if you use the parameter Element Classification Type then it will be listed as a Beam.
Element Classification Type.png
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika, I was really looking for something like that, but not only for scheduling purposes.

Not a chance you can do something similar to transform an object to a beam/ column altogether, so AC will treat them as such?
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can always save the element as a library part and then change it's subtype to Beam.
What are you really trying to accomplish here? Why are you needing a COLUMN element to be a BEAM?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't need a column to be a beam. I'd like the option to transform an object into either a beam or a column. I'd like to be able to insert an object-beam from the Archicad library > structures > steel beams and have Archicad recognize it as a beam instead as an object.
Karl Ottenstein
Enrico wrote:
I don't need a column to be a beam. I'd like the option to transform an object into either a beam or a column. I'd like to be able to insert an object-beam from the Archicad library > structures > steel beams and have Archicad recognize it as a beam instead as an object.
Not possible. All ArchiCAD elements are recognized by the tool that inserted them, regardless of their virtual function. There is no mechanism for converting one thing into another, other than (1) anything can be converted to an object [by saving], (2) a multiplane roof can be converted to single plan roofs, and (3) with the mesh-to-roof add-on, a mesh can be converted into a collection of single plane roofs that follow the mesh surface.

Maybe some other conversions that I cannot think of...

Erika's suggestion lets you schedule things and export things to IFC so that other programs recognize the object as a beam (etc).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.8, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Enrico wrote:
This could be done via the API, but I assume this isn't something you would do so often that it would be worthwhile.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Maybe some other conversions that I cannot think of...
Not really a conversion but the magic wand often serves a similar purpose.

On converting library parts to beams...

I have used section views of the parts as a source for the fill to make the beam profile. This is not convenient for converting existing instances but is handy for building up the list of beam and column profiles fairly quickly.
Erika Epstein
Booster
There was a discussion a year or two? back, I haven't looked for it about the problem with not being able to list the library part structural beams and columns as a beam or a column without some workaround such as the one I suggested. Another workaround is to use custom profiles and create all the steel profiles, but then you lose all the other data included in the library parts.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System