cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Vertical and horizontal 3d section

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,
does anybody know how to make the type of section in the image below? I cant find out how to limit the 3d section plane: it just cuts the building all the eay to the end. I have been searching for a way to do this for quite a long time.

Thank you in advance!

estaesta.jpg
9 REPLIES 9
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you are on ArchiCAD17 and higher: create a building material with 999 priority. Make one or several shapes with slab tool, morph tool, whatever works best using this building material. Put it on a layer that is hidden. It should intersect with most of your model, depending on layer intersection group.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
If you are on ArchiCAD17 and higher: create a building material with 999 priority. Make one or several shapes with slab tool, morph tool, whatever works best using this building material. Put it on a layer that is hidden. It should intersect with most of your model, depending on layer intersection group.
It worked! Very ingenious manner to solve this problem. Thank you very much!
Anonymous
Not applicable
What a clever way to make this work 😃 I tried the 3D cutaway marquee but the 3D marquee does not currently work for more than one story.
Erwin wrote:
Eduardo Rolon
Switch the 3D Marquee to Multi Story = bold dashed line
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 5.14.48 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
ejrolon wrote:
Switch the 3D Marquee to Multi Story = bold dashed line
Yes that option is only available on the plan view and not the 3D view. Not sure what the point of the marquee is in 3D view if it can only isolate it to one story.
Eduardo Rolon
Then turn Cutting Planes on (Command+Y) and then drag a plane from the top.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes that does work but the cutting planes are continuous and cannot be stopped short?

I guess it would be nice if the marquee in the 3D view worked similarly to the plan view marquee.
ejrolon wrote:
Then turn Cutting Planes on (Command+Y) and then drag a plane from the top.
Eduardo Rolon
just wondering why you don't draw the marquee in floor plan then?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I was looking at bernadias example and trying to achieve a similar affect, using cutting planes and marquee. The example shows an iregular 'cutout' starting halfway on the first floor all the way up, and keeping most of the rest of the building.

I like the suggested method better with priority based intersection, as it allows for any shapes possible to be cutout.

I do think the 3D view should have the marquee able to handle multiple stories. The option to change the marquee to double lines is grayed out in 3D.

If my marquee shape is too complicated the 'outside marquee' display option omits some elements.
Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 4.44.29 PM.png