cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Wall Cleanup

Anonymous
Not applicable
I know this must have been covered before but I don't know how to search the archives. How do I get walls of different thicknesses to clean up automatically? Or what is the best way to do it manually? See picture:
37 REPLIES 37
Anonymous
Not applicable
They are exactly aligned...
Anonymous
Not applicable
therefore except if in "3D windows setting", the "contours" is not off
I do not understand the problem.
Cheers
Jean-Luc
Anonymous
Not applicable
You have a couple of tricky ones here. Both are because two walls are forming a miter joint thus expressing the corner in what should be a smooth face. They are made more difficult by the differential heights and thicknesses.

A: Due to the different thicknesses of the outer walls, the only solution I can think of is to make a poly wall at the corner as a kind of 3D patch. If you model it as shown all the walls should clean up to it nicely. It will need to be trimmed (SEO or Trim to Roof) where it extends into the lower wall.

B: If the outside walls are really the same fill and thickness you can just extend the higher one to replace the lower and trim it with an SEO. Since the lower wall seems to enclose an open court (ie. no roof available) you would need to place the operator on a hidden layer, unless you need to model some coping there anyway.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes I did a test and depending on the texture I see this line linking both
walls. However likely it does not affect the rendering. Moreover, if we
have to use SEO for such things...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Jean-Luc and Matthew,

Nice work-around and explanation Matthew!

But its really sad to know that an everyday situation like this has to be solved by a tricky work-around... Does anybody in GS knows about this matter?... Can we call this a bug?
Braza wrote:
Can we call this a bug?
From what I can tell from your posted image, you'd need control joints in those two locations anyway, so actually the model is accurate!
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
I got-like many people- lot of difficulties with wall intersections...normal
but may I ask you why it's disturbing you to see this line in 3D view?
you meet with some others issues then ?
Potato Farmer
Mentor
Braza wrote:
Can we call this a bug?
Yes we can.
Laura wrote:
From what I can tell from your posted image, you'd need control joints in those two locations anyway, so actually the model is accurate!
Say what? In typical construction there is no reason to believe that the cladding will join where your wall do within ArchiCAD. A control joint is a thing. It has a dimension. If you want one, add one, exactly where you want it, but don't force me to have one. This is a line, a graphic problem, a bug.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Geoff wrote:
In typical construction there is no reason to believe that the cladding will join where your wall do within ArchiCAD.
No, but it is good practice to locate control joints at changes in wall height, although I've seen a lot of (typically residential) construction that disregards this practice. Also will depend on what type of cladding is being used...
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Potato Farmer
Mentor
In the earlier example the walls change height. But the display bug happens whether they do or not. Control joints are not an excuse and having to use an SEO to work around a bug in a very typical wall condition that occurs on every job is just not right.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x