Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Walls showing up on wrong floors

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.
In one of our projects we have some walls that show up on our basement level when we have it on our first floor level.

The walls that show up on the basement that we don't want are:

Home Story Only- Home story is first floor.
The wall bottom is at 10' which is what the first floor is set at.
They are set to show cut only.
the basement is 10 feet deep and the cutplane is set to 3 feet.

and they are still showing up on the basement level.

Something that is weird- the bad walls when i look in the info box with the wall selected it says that the bottom is at 10', rather than showing that it is 0" from the floor it is on.
The 10' is 10' from project zero.

when i make a new wall I can set it to be a zero height from the first floor, and it works and does not show up on the basement story.

so I dont understand what is going on.

If i suck up the properties of the bad wall and draw another one it shows up on the basement level. that censored word mean to obtain the properties of the bad walls by using the syringe tool.

i added an attachment.
I copied these walls from the project and into an empty file so the numbers may not be the same, but the problem is still there.

Any help would be great, thanks.
12 REPLIES 12
Karl Ottenstein
Jess,

Stumped for a minute on this one! The problem is the Home Story setting - which is set to be "Current +1". If you change that to "Automatic", or select just the proper story, it is fine.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I see you are right with the file I gave that you can do that.

I tried to do that before in the original file and it didn't help.

So here is the original file, with everything deleted to make the file smaller and the wall giving me a hard time.

One more time?
Thanks again.
Karl Ottenstein
Jesikuh123 wrote:
So here is the original file, with everything deleted to make the file smaller and the wall giving me a hard time.

One more time?
Thanks again.
OK, I'm stumped. New walls display on just the first floor. Duplicates, or injected properties from you misbehaving wall always show up as cut on the basement. I cannot find any settings to alter the behavior ... so either we're both crazy, or there is some kind of corrupt hidden attribute associated with your wall.

I'll call GS tech's attention to your posted file. Does this happen to very many walls?

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything,
Karl
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
Jesikuh123 wrote:
Something that is weird- the bad walls when i look in the info box with the wall selected it says that the bottom is at 10', rather than showing that it is 0" from the floor it is on.
This is normal. The Info Box shows you heights relative to project zero. When you enter values for top and bottom of a wall, the values in the Wall Settings dialog are for the base height relative to the current story, home story, or reference level, and the overall height. The values in the Info Box are the actual z values of the bottom and the top of the wall.

Cheers,
Karl
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jess,
incidentally the floor settings and floor cutting plane settings are slightly different to what you describe in your original post in the second file you posted.

notwithstanding that, i had a go with various settings of the wall, didn't touch the FCP settings at all, or the story settings
aaaaand inspite of logic, changing only one setting to be 'show on all relevant stories' makes the wall go away from basement level. changing it back to 'show on home story only' does not make it re-appear on basement.

so... i 'd say def some kind of bug there. but in any case this may fix your file so that you don't have to re-draw everything....

by the by these are the wall settings i see in your file:
8' high
0" to current story & project 0
automatic home story (0. First Floor)
show on home story
projected with overhead
entire element

also story settings are:
0. First Floor 0" elev 10' height to next
-1. Basement Level -9'-5" elev 9'-5" height to next

and FCP settings:
cut plane 4'
show up to 1 story above 0"
show down to 1 story below 0"
absolute show down to project zero -10'

hope that helps
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Xristina is right.
Switching to All Relevant Stories than back to Home Story only fixes it.
My guess is that some setting gets stuck and these steps unstick it.
But I think GS will be interested in this strange behavior.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Guys, thanks a bunch.
I try all those weird things that you don't think would fix a problem but it does.
Like when all my dimension text won't show, i just delete them all and then undo and it shows back up.
and when I go into materials and change them they don't update in the model unless I pick the wall change the material to something else, then undo, to switch it back and it changes.
But I guess I didn't catch this one,
so thanks again!
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is in many cases a way of fixing things in ArchiCAD.
First I tried to select the misbehaving Wall and copy it to the Clipboard then immediately paste it back. But in this case it did not work.
Then there is the method of setting a parameter or setting that can have a direct effect of the misbehavior of the element to another value, OK the Dialog, then set it back to its desired value. This is what fixed it in this case.
Another method is the forward Merge where you create an empty Project with the same attributes as the misbehaving file and Merge the file into it.

The common denominator of all these is to somehow make ArchiCAD get rid of the buggy setting in the element.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
This is in many cases a way of fixing things in ArchiCAD.
First I tried to select the misbehaving Wall and copy it to the Clipboard then immediately paste it back. But in this case it did not work.
Then there is the method of setting a parameter or setting that can have a direct effect of the misbehavior of the element to another value, OK the Dialog, then set it back to its desired value. This is what fixed it in this case.
Another method is the forward Merge where you create an empty Project with the same attributes as the misbehaving file and Merge the file into it.

The common denominator of all these is to somehow make ArchiCAD get rid of the buggy setting in the element.
Just curious Las, would not "cut" rather than "copy" the offending element then paste it in? Never heard of this before. I will have to try it.