Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

What are new tools for ARCHICAD 13?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello 🙂
I was wondering if we maybe know what new tools we can expect with the new version of Archicad?
I finaly hope for 3D composite structure layers to be visible, also their 2D representation to be automaticly adjusted to the layer thickness (eg. thermal insulation).
Slab layers and their intersection with wall layers...
Also maybe while defining wall composite layers we can also define each layer height.
Better and more detailed quantity take-off is a must.
221 REPLIES 221
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
Chazz wrote:

The possibilities for the Revit tool are amazing.
If I have to choose between stretching window in wall in 3D by hotspot (instead editing family) or option for freeform curtain wall I choose first option 🙂
Most of Revit users knows about this feature from ad materials - it is not so easy and opportunity for designing something like this is almost "0".

This tool is rather for manipulating people's minds during presentation...
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Hi!

it's not only in the bim world (Revit) that such kind of tools exists...

A direct modeling tool ( rhino ) has an easy parametric creation tools of this kind whereas a 'parametric' _or supposed to_ modeling tool ( archicad) does not offer such kind of tools ( without a complex scripting environnement) !

this was the case with the generative componenents and now with Grasshopper ( or panelize) ...I hope that graphisoft will give us a tool like this...

I was hoping to have a tool like this in c4d at least, as it is supposed to be the alternative for the complex gdl object creation ?! may be some c4d pros have already done that..!?
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Chazz
Enthusiast
Rafal wrote:
Chazz wrote:

I think you have misquoted me. My comments are typically more negative, despairing and hopeless. The idea is to evoke a sense of such demoralized despondency that one is forced to see the abject futility in everything.
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
I still don't know why everyone is so interested in producing blobitecture. Are there really that many clients beating down the door for expensive fabrication and bizarre organic sculptural designs full of inefficiencies? Good grief, your flashing subcontractor has to have a PhD in aerodynamics! I'd much rather have my software developer concentrate on typical problems like door schedules, engineering coordination, and construction changes.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
Chazz wrote:
Rafal wrote:
Chazz wrote:

I think you have misquoted me. My comments are typically more negative, despairing and hopeless. The idea is to evoke a sense of such demoralized despondency that one is forced to see the abject futility in everything.

Really sorry for making your quote such optimistic, I'll be more careful next time 🙂
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I still don't know why everyone is so interested in producing blobitecture...
I agree that reasons for having this implemented in AC are hard to justify. I mean when I looked at Revit's curved things I went how many times I am going to use this.

However AC needs a simple set of geometrical operations in 3D (not necessarily nurbs-based stuff). just simple SketchUp-like modelling capabilities and ofcause improvement in facetted geometry as mentioned before.

AC is a productivity tool so it follows the concept of Model&Document approach that (I reckon) is the culprit of a slow development in the free-form geometry area.

I do not agree that AC should be something like Rhino either as its purpose is way off the architectural needs especially in regards to architectural documentation. A parallel example could be a big battle fought some years ago on this forum in regards to Lightworks (or any professional level renderer) in AC. All of us were really excited to have full-fledged renderer inside of AC. Right. I will not comment on the final implementation that is so typical for GS (aka 80% features). My point here is that rendering of pretty pictures has turned itself into a monster industry that AC can't compete with and gradually the market reality has shown us that viz outsourcing is actually the fastest, cheapest and after all more professional way to do it... and I could go further with examples like Plotmaker fancying to be Illustrator etc.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chuck wrote:
"... I'd much rather have my software developer concentrate on typical problems like door schedules, engineering coordination, and construction changes."
Well grounded, productive thinking!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Chazz wrote:
"The idea is to evoke a sense of such demoralized despondency that one is forced to see the abject futility in everything."

Now that's hilarious.
Thanks for the laugh Chazz.
Anonymous
Not applicable
just release the long awaited program and lets see whether i will archicad for life or better still migrate to revit.
new tools need not be said, just peep into other program capabilities and deliver archicad 13.
i hope dis message gets through gs team.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
I still don't know why everyone is so interested in producing blobitecture...
I agree that reasons for having this implemented in AC are hard to justify. I mean when I looked at Revit's curved things I went how many times I am going to use this.

However AC needs a simple set of geometrical operations in 3D (not necessarily nurbs-based stuff). just simple SketchUp-like modelling capabilities and ofcause improvement in facetted geometry as mentioned before.

AC is a productivity tool so it follows the concept of Model&Document approach that (I reckon) is the culprit of a slow development in the free-form geometry area.

I do not agree that AC should be something like Rhino either as its purpose is way off the architectural needs especially in regards to architectural documentation. A parallel example could be a big battle fought some years ago on this forum in regards to Lightworks (or any professional level renderer) in AC. All of us were really excited to have full-fledged renderer inside of AC. Right. I will not comment on the final implementation that is so typical for GS (aka 80% features). My point here is that rendering of pretty pictures has turned itself into a monster industry that AC can't compete with and gradually the market reality has shown us that viz outsourcing is actually the fastest, cheapest and after all more professional way to do it... and I could go further with examples like Plotmaker fancying to be Illustrator etc.
Aside from what we are seeing in the schools and a very few built works, I would agree that most of us will never need (or want?) to do blobitecture.

I see so many people in this forum do very creative forms within AC, using accessible, but not very apparent work-a-rounds. There was a rumor that GS has not given up entirely on something like Virtual GDL. Anyone remember that one? I had a copy many years ago that I never really used (it was pretty clunky) but, as I recall it worked sort of like Sketchup.

While AC may need more modeling tools, I'm wondering if it is more of an interface issue for us mere mortal architects. Sure there are a lot of things I can do in AC, but it often times seems so laborious and requiring very different ways of thinking. I admit to being lazy, and anything that takes away from my limited creative time and takes me into a cad problem solving mode is a huge (for me) negative. Can't the tools just be made easier to use? Wouldn't that alone be a huge improvement?

As far as rendering, it appears that Lightworks can do more than good enough renderings for what I need. But again, it requires more effort than I am willing or able to expend for a typical job. I use renderings primarily to get client approval and I have never had a client (residential) ask for a finished rendering.

Don Lee