Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Why Archicad on the iPad matters

Thomas Holm
Booster
Why Archicad on the iPad matters — even if just a viewer, thin client or whatever: Do read this!

The iPad has sold 30 million units. In less than a year and a half.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
11 REPLIES 11
Which would probably be why Graphisoft are doing this
Thomas Holm
Booster
Of course! We're eagerly waiting...
Although I think utilizing the functionality of the iPad to its limits is more important than an iPhone viewer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would hope that if Graphisoft were to do this that they would make an Android version as well. I know more people who own Android tablets. And the price of Android devices are such I might suggest to some customers to buy one to view my files.
Thomas wrote:
Of course! We're eagerly waiting...
Although I think utilizing the functionality of the iPad to its limits is more important than an iPhone viewer.
I agree.

I don't quite get how a smartphone can be used comfortably as a 3D viewer with the screen resolution that they have, but I suppose GS is just covering their bases for situations where you have a client or a consultant that has an iPhone and you want to show them something on the project but there's niPad available.
After all, more people have iPhones than iPads, even as popular as they are and as they're becoming.

In any case, any decision to develop an iPad/iPhone viewer (and hopefully soon after, an Android viewer as well) is a great decision on their part.
Their competitors over at Autotable have to worry about getting Revit to run on Mac platform first before they can even think of developing an iPad viewer.
In fact they have to worry about getting Revit to produce usable and decent IFC files before worrying about venturing into other formats.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bricklyne I usually agree with your commentary but a couple of points.

IFCs are irrelevant if you own the BIM space. Keep that perception alive and it may become true.

Apple is doing some weird stuff in the pro space. I love what they do -but - dropping serious server stuff, rumors about dropping Mac pro hardware etc are not inspiring for the onlooker. Not sure I'd want to invest in porting anything till I can see the game plan (I concede impossible with Apple).

I'd like to think I'm wrong but these are interesting times....
Anonymous
Not applicable
rwallis wrote:
Apple is doing some weird stuff in the pro space. I love what they do -but - dropping serious server stuff, rumors about dropping Mac pro hardware etc are not inspiring for the onlooker.
Where have you heard this?

Considering Apple's dominance in the creative pro field, their tendency to need pro equipment, and the high margins they bring in, it would seem rather odd. It also seems self defeating to alienate a large part of their power users.
Thomas Holm
Booster
rwallis wrote:
...Not sure I'd want to invest in porting anything till I can see the game plan...
Well, the iPad sells at least thirty times the Android pads combined.
And other competitors are giving up. I don't need a game plan to see what's cooking...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Not specific but I was thinking of revit to Mac port. Autodesk will get a feel with their recent auto cad port.....
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I recently read an interview with Autodesk guys, I think it was the Q2 financial results conference transcript and there was a question about Revit for Mac and the answer was that it is currently not planned.

Also, Ralph Grabowski mentioned in one of his blog posts on his site that AutoCAD for Mac sales are not that great so far. That may or may not have to do with many missing features in their Mac version.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27