Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Zones and Subfloors

Can anyone provide examples of why I would make use of the SubFloor parameter option in the Zone tool?

GS documentation is scant on this. It describes the fact that you can use it or not, bit no practical applications why one might use it or not use it.

The door window labels also can make some provision when listing sill height (side issue - why can't it be sill or head height?).

Stairmaker also has this as a parameter.

Taken altogether, these different tools make use of a feature differently - not necessarily in an integrated or consistent fashion, and, their functionality predates the introduction of a reference line on floor slabs.

Last question, does any of this have a bearing on the placement of Zones for use in EcoDesigner?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5030 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5
6 REPLIES 6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In case of Doors and Windows, their Sill within the Wall is measured from the Wall Base. Let us say that we have a structural concrete slab and the Wall sits on top of it. Then there will be 120 mm other skins on top of that Slab to give us the Finished Floor Level.
The Door's/Window's Sill is 1020 mm above the Wall base. Normally the Door/Window Marker would display this value. However if you set a Subfloor Thickness value (120 mm in this example), ArchiCAD deducts it from the Sill Height and so it will be able to display the correct Sill value of 900 mm.

For Zones, I am not sure, maybe it can have an effect on how Zone and Wall areas and volumes are calculated? I have not tested this so I can't tell for sure.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Lazlo. i was just trying this. that seems somehow redundant now in the Post ArchiCAD 17 world. If the wall base is set to the top of the slab core and the slab composite is anchored to the top of the core skin.

Am I missing something or is this a piece of legacy in the interface that maybe serves to confuse as much as anything.

Still hoping to hear about some practical uses for this setting as it relates to Zones, too.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Aaron wrote:
Am I missing something or is this a piece of legacy in the interface that maybe serves to confuse as much as anything.
The GDL script of Door/Windows Markers uses that value you enter for Subfloor Thickness in calculating the sill value it displays.
In GDL the AC_WIDO_SUBFL_THICKNESS global variable stores and returns that value. So it is still used by GDL.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Thanks Lazlo. I forgot to think about looking under the hood at the GDL. Getting old.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi There,

Is there a way to see a list of the Zones in a Archicad file? also is there any her achy when other tools detecting zones when theres more than once in the same area.

Posted this issue in a noter category but thought it would be more fitting in this post.

Thanks in advance
Create an Interactive Schedule that lists all the zones. You can add fields to see which zones are on which layers. and add other fields (the ones in Blue text) to add more interactivity to the schedule.
Think Like a Spec Writer
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.5