Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

composite wall: interrupting wall finish after certain height

HelenE
Booster

Hello everyone!

I need some help in modelling some composite walls. As you can see from the attached picture, I would like for the tiles of this composite wall to stop at the level of the suspended ceiling but I need the wall's core to continue until the concrete slab. Is there a way I can model this so that when I prepare the schedules to calculate the area of tiles required the total will be correct? Is there a way to this quickly (without creating a complex profile because we would have to redo many walls that are already modelled)?

question.png

11 REPLIES 11

Hello @HelenE,

I think the right way to do this is complex profiled wall but as a workaround you can adjust the composite wall height to the ceiling bottom and duplicate this composite wall vertically to be placed in the gap between the ceiling and the structural slab.

For achieving the desired result you can duplicate the composite itself while deleting the two tiling skins and keep only the core one,

Also take care to adjust the reference line location in the two composites to be identical (core outside or inside) so when you apply the duplicated composite to the above wall it will be on the same location as the core bottom.

To change the refrence line location of the composite wall without moving the wall you can use this reference:

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/27/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC27_Help%2F040_Eleme...

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

One approach is to create a 'plenum' building material that has a intersection priority lower than the core but higher than the finish and model it for spaces with suspended ceiling and the scheduled exposed area of the finish will be correct. No need to touch the already modelled walls and quite easy to handle - just sort the priorities and make sure that the intersection group is correct in view for the schedule and modell correctly (partial structure display helps).

thesleepofreason_1-1705100677336.png

If you like to replace composite walls with complex profiled ones without remodeling or adjusting positions you can.

Use F&S to select the desired walls by the appropriate criteria set then save it for recalling later and define the exact location of reference line.

If you have different locations for composite walls reference lines you can modify them as the link above.

Draw your complex profile fills and set the origin point at the same reference line location for the composite walls then adjust the height of all skins as you like and add modifiers if needed.

Select the desired walls by recalling the saved criteria set from F&S then change them from info box to be profiled walls with few clicks and I'm sure they will be positioned correctly.

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11
Barry Kelly

If your ceiling was a part of the floor slab composite, you could possibly get it to work with building material strengths as others may have mentioned.

But it may not be practical to have the ceiling as part of the slab composite.

So you either need 2 walls stacked on top of each other.

One up to ceiling height and then another on top from ceiling to slab.

Some will use a separate storey for this upper wall, I would just use layers.

Or you create a composite wall with tile/plaster skins only up to ceiling height.

If your ceiling height varies, you can even add height modifiers to the tile/plaster skins of the complex profile, so they can be adjusted to suit particular ceiling heights.

The heights can even be adjusted to allow for the lower slab floor finishes.

And you can stretch the height of the tile/plaster skins to zero height for those walls that do not have tiles and/or plaster.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi @Barry Kelly,

You say (If your ceiling height varies, you can even add height modifiers to the tile/plaster skins of the composite).

I suppose you mean modifiers for a complex profile wall or you really mean modifiers for a composite wall? How could you do that?

AC 27 INT 5060/WIN 11

Sorry, I meant complex profile wall.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
HelenE
Booster

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to me! I will study these options and get back to you.

Ahmed_K
Advisor

Avoid complex profiles as much as you can,  beacause of performance issues, also, 2D representation of skins and reveals won't be an easy task, 

You can simply go with acompisite slab that have an air skin, and a gypsum skin, 

The air skin material should be stronger then the wall finish material, 

This way, when you want to not to apply a ceiling to that space, you simply delete the slab, and the wall finish skin would go up automatically 

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 27
Windows 11 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

Rather than having a slab composite and a separate air space/gypsum composite and placing 2 slabs, I just create two slab composites.

One with the slab / airspace & gypsum skins, and one with just the slab (no ceiling).

That way I can just swap the slab for whatever I want.

I then create duplicates of the slab with ceiling if I need the ceiling at different heights.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27